Does wiper motor need to be removed for rear windshield?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
grabbit
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Does wiper motor need to be removed for rear windshield?

Post by grabbit »

I own a 2003 VW Jetta wagon with a rear wiper. The rear glass has shattered twice now in 4 years, both times during extreme cold. However after the most recent window replacement, the wiper motor stopped working and did not think anything of it, as it is useless anyway. But because of it, it failed state inspection. The mechanic looked at it and saw that the wiper had been improperly installed and all of the panel brackets were broken.

When that glass was replaced did the technician have to remove that wiper motor? Before filing a formal complaint I want to make sure this was part of their procedure. Maybe it was coindence that the wiper stopped working, but no one else would have been in there besides the window technician.

Any suggestions? I have called around a few local places and cannot get a direct answer, basically saying each car is different and most likely just the control arm needs to be removed.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Does wiper motor need to be removed for rear windshield?

Post by DryStar »

Yes he did! A more important question to ask did the rear glass breakout in extreme cold temperatures while using the rear defrost? When replacing these you have to abide by manufacture torque specks for tightening hinges and wiper motor assembly. To much torque will result in too much stress on glass part. Add to that defrost (heat expands glass) it may fail.
edwardsmary

Re: Does wiper motor need to be removed for rear windshield?

Post by edwardsmary »

Over time, the windshield wiper motor of VW Jetta may begin to strain and will eventually fail. It's therefore essential to buy a new motor. Replacement motors are available from Volkswagen, but you can also purchase them from most auto parts stores. You'll also need the year of your Jetta to ensure that you get the correct motor.