Windo-weld butyl round ribbon sealer thickness?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
jdc25180
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windo-weld butyl round ribbon sealer thickness?

Post by jdc25180 »

Hi,
I pulled my rear hatch and quarter windows out of a 1988 Toyota Supra in a long restoration project. I'm looking to put the windows back in but I do not know which thickness of ribbon sealer to use. There is 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. How do you determine which thickness to use? I read on a user forum for chevelles that it is based on the thickness of the actual glass. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
j
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windo-weld butyl round ribbon sealer thickness?

Post by screenman »

Not got a clue, but you might do better in the replacement section or on a replacement forum. I am sorry I cannot help you, repaired thousand of windshields never replaced on though.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windo-weld butyl round ribbon sealer thickness?

Post by Glasseye »

Straight forward jdc25180 - apply a polyurethane bead then block it out with spacers, unless you really want to use butyl ? then I am assuming chrome finishing trims are dictating your preference. Polyurethane is the better medium. If chrome finishing is the dictating factor fit the glass on a high bead then fit the the trims and block the glass against the trims.