Windshield Replacement Odor

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
douglas7
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield Replacement Odor

Post by douglas7 »

I know this forum is targeted to those who replace windshields, but I have a quick question which I can't find anywhere.

I had a windshield replaced exactly one week ago and I still can sense a sweet odor inside the vehicle when I first enter. Is this normal after a windshield replacement (the company I used hasn't responded yet to my inquiry)? It has been triggering a migraine (I'm sensitive) daily. Other people can detect the smell as well.

I figure its off-gassing since the interior of the vehicle is 130 degrees plus in the sun. Is this normal in hot climates? Could they have used too much applicator/primer?

How quickly does the primer or applicator dry?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield Replacement Odor

Post by Brent Deines »

Properly applied, glass and metal primers used for windshield replacement dry very quickly and should always be completely dry before the windshield is installed. How long it takes for the adheisive to reach a full cure depends on the type of urethane used, temperature, relative humidity, etc. It can be as little as a few hours or as long as a couple of days, but even before reaching full cure the urethane skins over so there should be little or no lingering smell, or at least I have never noticed it and I've never had a customer mention an unusual smell inside their car after I've replaced the windshield. I've also never used a primer or urethane that had what I would consider a sweet smell.

The only thing I can think of is that the shop may have used a glass or vinyl cleaner in the cleanup process that left a smell but that is really grasping at straws. Hopefully the glass shop that did the work will get back to you or perhaps someone else on this forum has had a different experience and can share some wisdom with you.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield Replacement Odor

Post by Glasseye »

Just googled " causes of a sweet smell in your car" and the resulting replies, point towards a possible leak in the coolant system.