The networks

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

The networks

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

So, I spend some time every month cruising this board and the AGRR forum (which is frankly, toxic). What I have gathered is that there is a movement to remove ourselves from these insurance networks to do direct billing. Aside from Lynx related jobs, I have never had an SGC job referred to me in 6 years. I have had to deal with SGC in situations where only OEM glass was available and I actually suffered to make it happen. My question for you all here is: Can anyone give the straight dope on direct billing to bypass the third party? At AGRR there's lots of talk of this but no one will give a straight answer (the anonymity there is a huge problem IMO). I've lost a lot of money on insurance jobs and I am sick of it, but I'm a little guy and I don't know what to do. If anyone in the industry can inform on this matter for the betterment of the industry (and perhaps not just themselves), it would be appreciated. We're all in this together.
Dempsterglass

Re: The networks

Post by Dempsterglass »

Third party is unfortunalty what we have with most all major and medium insurance companies now. There are a couple small ones you can direct bill but maybe only 1-2 jobs a year as their client base is small.
I have family members that worked at top levels of claims for major insurance companies. Those jobs are gone now. Glass claims just cut a check to the TPA for the monthly invoice.
SGC is the only network that is in conflict. They push all the work into their own stores if the customer doesn’t know to ask for your shop. It is a monopoly plain and simple for them given the insurance companies they contract with and answering the claim call from the start. Lawsuits have been filed and fought and it still hasn’t changed. Perhaps our politicians could help. Haha.
I worked for SGC in early to mid 90s as store manager. I’m intimately familiar with what they had planned with third party billing and what they are currently doing.
I have contracts with several TPA networks and some I won’t as their contracted pricing is rediculous so I stay independent from them. They all send me work regularly even if I haven’t talked to customer prior. SGC is the only one that doesn’t send any work my way unless it’s way outside the Flathead. I’ll take the job but make sure to get a trip charge authorization.
Billing isn’t an issue and insurance work is still very profitable
benswindshieldrepair

Re: The networks

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Thanks for the response, Dennis. On those networks that you aren't contracted with: How do you bill them? 100% NAGS? SGC does some ridiculous ****. Most frustrating is situations where I have been in where you need to buy factory OEM glass because nothing else is available. You bite the pillow to make it work to keep a smile on the customer's face. I'd rather do a cash job Chevy pickup and make a few bucks than have thousands hanging out there hoping that I make just as much as the domestic truck. You know what I mean. Thanks again! Your van is looking awesome by the way!