Billing Insurance

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
terryalex29

Billing Insurance

Post by terryalex29 »

I have just started replacing windshields and needed soem more information from you experienced techs.

To do a windshield replacement and bill the insurance to you have to be a part of the network?

Any help in this area would be of great value.
glasssgod

Re: Billing Insurance

Post by glasssgod »

This question cannot be answered simply. There are so many insurance companies and networks out there and each has different discounting offers. If you are low volume I would simply ask for payment at the time and let the customer submit it to their agent. Otherwise try the AGRR magazine forum, there are many many more glass installers on that forum than in here.
I_Hate_Butyl_Tape

Re: Billing Insurance

Post by I_Hate_Butyl_Tape »

I'm sure it depends on your local laws, but here, the law states that the owner/leasee of a vehicle has the right to choose which shop does repairs to his/her vehicle, NOT the insurance company.

The insurance companies here do have their vendor lists and may "require" the claimant to have the work done at a specific shop, but their policies do not supercede the law. Unfortunately, most customers do not know this.

Here, the insurance company is required by law to pay the shop, regardless of their own vendor list. Convincing them to do so is another issue... and keep in mind that deductibles in some markets often exceed the price of repair/replacement. Sometimes it is beneficial to a customer to buy the part outright rather than pay the deductible.

For example, where I live, a DW1217 (88-98 chev pickup) is around $185 + tax. Less than $200. Most deductibles are $250+.

I have had lots of customers that cancelled their w/s coverage due to this. Some have even demanded to have their money for the coverage credited back from the insurance company. I don't think any have had success doing so.

Back to your topic, check your local laws. Chances are, the insurance company MUST pay you, because they don't own the vehicle. Your customer does, and it should be their choice.

Not to be long-winded... another point. In the event of an accident, some insurance companies require "3 quotes" for repair. I had an accident. I brought it to the only bodyshop I would ever bring it to. The insurance company at first required me to get 2 other quotes. I told them where the car was and if they wanted other quotes they could pay for it and do it themselves. I also told them that the other quotes were irrelevant, as the shop I chose was the shop the work was to be done at.

They were extremely reluctant to say the least, but had no choice in the end. Deal with insurance companies on a professional level, but be firm if you have to. The law is the law and they have no choice but to obey it.