fixing leaks

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
paul

fixing leaks

Post by paul »

I have a 1988 Dodge Ram Van, windshield was replaced maybe 12 years ago. My problem is this: Somewhere there is a leak. The felt floormat (under the rubber floor) gets quite wet, passenger side only. I have not been able to find the source of the leak, but a mechanic told me it's most likely the windshield. Can this be the case? There is never any water or even dampness visible around the windshield or dash inside the van. Can moisture travel down through the doorpost and find its way inside?
Assuming the problem is really with the windshield, what can I do to fix it? If I lift up the rubber seal around the outside of the glass, I can see that the rubber overlaps the metal by maybe one eights of an inch, then there seems to be a bit of a gap with nothing in it. Is that needed to allow for expansion of the metal when its a hot day? or is that maybe the source of my problem and needs to be filled with something? (I thought of silicone, but changed my mind after reading some of the posts on this site). Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
pete uk

Re: fixing leaks

Post by pete uk »

hi
in my experience if you have water in footwells it is not usually the windscreen . however that is not to say that it isnt. water can appear through aerials rubber grommets pinch welds door seals and any number of places. if i where you i would get a pal and one of you stay on the inside of the vehicle the other outside with a good hose aiming firstly away from the shield and try under the bonnet in the bulkhead , also round the doors etc. failing that take it to a reputable windscreen company and ask them to test it for you.

hope this helps

pete
CPR

Post by CPR »

I would look at the A/C drain or heater core leakage first, maybe a rust hole in the floor board/firewall.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

If you have access to an ultrasonic leak detector, it will be easy to find the leak-maybe $50 at your local installer.
If not, find a compressed air source, a friend , and six or eight inches of toilet paper. Follow the molding on the outside with the air , while friend holds the tissue on the inside- a leak will move the paper. Do the same under the hood near grommets and seams. If you have a sun roof, check the drain tubes.
I used to make good money finding leaks for a glass shop. Sold the detector several years ago.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Bubble gum?
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Im with CPR, I had an a/c hose leak in my car on a hot day, condensation, the hose was pinched and the water leaked inside the car instead of outside...
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

The firewall would be suspect. Especiall if an accesory was added and wires run trough the firewall.

If this is a rubber gasket set then water can get under the gasket, top and lower corner and get around the pinch weld by gravity following the gasket pinchweld channel to the bottom of the gasket and leak under the dash. All unseen from the inside. ..On the inside Apillar gasket pull it back and see if you can see water stain trails, that may be an indicator.

Another issue may be the rain gutter ubove the door. Check for cracks in the body seam and repair if cracked.

The best way to water test is from the bottom up. One person squirts water from the outside slowly moving the water spray and another inside watching for leaks. This may thake some time because the water has to find its way to the leak path.

I agree with Bill D to use a leak detector.
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

One more thing check the heater core and make sure that is not leaking.