Some questions.......

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Thanxs for all the Help

Post by Anonymous »

I have used a lot of different kits over the years but I have recently purchased a Wizard Glass kit from a local manufacturer. Once I learned to use the injector I was really pleased with the repairs that it produced, HOWEVER, I have come across some problems that I haven't encountered before.

If you have seen/have advice re: these problems I would appreciate your input. I have a hunch that they may be "resin related".

The repairs, initially, look great. I have noted a couple things that occur after a couple days...

There seems to be a "brownish" discoloration that appears at the bottom of the pit. It is definitely not external but embedded in the glass and takes a couple days to show up.

The "pit" must be scraped with a razor perpendicular to the glass surface. If not the pit will "pull away". While I know many people recommend this I have done it both ways with other resins with, seemingly, no ill effects.

Some of the star and combo breaks that I have filled develop what appear to be "new" stress cracks that emanate from the new repair. These cracks are positively not apparent until several days after the repair. The cracks aren't like "older" dark cracks but instead are like a "brand new" crack. Almost prism like in appearance.
Anonymous

Some questions.......

Post by Anonymous »

Did you by any chance change resin brands at the same time you purchased the new equipment? Everything you describe is more consistant with a resin problem rather than what tooling is being used. In regards to your last question about the "new" cracks that show up later: If you are using proper procedure and not applying heat indescriminately, the curing process will almost always reduce the amount of rays you can see in the finished repair. However, the amount of 'sparkle' in a finished repair is directly related to the viscosity (thickness) of the resin. The thinner the resin, the more sparkle. Why? Because there is a greater difference between the refractive indices of the glass and resin.
Anonymous

re: questions

Post by Anonymous »

Hey gold star,

I did change resins at the same time. Coincidentally an order I had placed with Janvil arrived today with a "sample pack" of different resins. The Janvil resins I used this afternoon worked MUCH better. I'm looking forward to an order from Delta that will contain samples of their resins as well.

After carefully checking the steps in using the Wizard System I determined that there was some ahhhh, errrrr..... Operator Error involved as well. Oooops.

The combo of correct procedures and the new "sample resins" seem to have fixed the problems.

Thanks for you help.