Quality work vs. typical franchised windshield shops.

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
GP2

Quality work vs. typical franchised windshield shops.

Post by GP2 »

Where I'm from all of the windshield replacement shops/chains are all extremely cut thoat, there's not much margin, the competition is brutal, and everyone is trying to cut costs. I'm curious to know what you experienced guys think that they'll be skipping, or half assing, of giving it the ol "good enough" attitude. Bascially what do you think seperates these glass store chains from someone like yourself doing work to your highest standard.
John62

Re: Quality work vs. typical franchised windshield shops.

Post by John62 »

Hi GP2,
This is not difficult.
Please see my reply on the thread ''getting support''.
btucker

Post by btucker »

What they are skipping is quality work. They short cut installations, they install as many windhields as they can and do it very badly. My husband and I own a small shop in Texas and have seen the quality of work performed by these large franchised companies. Stick to quality. Being in a small market area is an asset to our business, yet we do have the large franchised companies coming in and doing jobs that eventually come back to us in either unhappy customers with problems ranging from windshields leaking, moulding coming off the glass, and adhesives that are no longer attached to the glass or the vehicle. Glass that has physically fallen out of the car.
Windshield Guy

Post by Windshield Guy »

Off the topic but kinda relevant where you mentioned that the windshield is leaking: which is the best tool to use to check that there is no air leakage after a window replacement?

It scares the heck out of me where people replace windshields without any due care for the safety of the driver... they just haul and replace the windshield and allow hardly anytime for curing, some dont even advise the customer appropriately ..thats a life on the line there ...seriously scary.

btucker wrote:What they are skipping is quality work. They short cut installations, they install as many windhields as they can and do it very badly. My husband and I own a small shop in Texas and have seen the quality of work performed by these large franchised companies. Stick to quality. Being in a small market area is an asset to our business, yet we do have the large franchised companies coming in and doing jobs that eventually come back to us in either unhappy customers with problems ranging from windshields leaking, moulding coming off the glass, and adhesives that are no longer attached to the glass or the vehicle. Glass that has physically fallen out of the car.
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

There are several Ultrasonic Leak Detectors out there that can be used to check for leaks right away. Each bonded (replaced) part should be checked to assure a succseful leak-free installation.

This is from the Equalizer Web Site:

http://www.equalizer.com/Merchant2/merc ... ode=NLD459

With sensitive controls and audio/visual controls. Everyone in the auto glass industry has encountered an air or water leak that is almost impossible to find. With our ultrasonic leak detector you can find those leaks. Our leak detector works by setting a transmitter inside the vehicle; the transmitter sends out a sound, not audible to human ears, which passes through the opening that is causing the leak. As you slowly run the receiving wand over the suspected area, the receiver will pick up the transmitter