Comprehensive Coverage Verification Problem on Weekends

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

thanks

Post by Anonymous »

I work as WSR tech on the weekends and personally do not deal with the billing. The business I work for is fairly new. Well I found out today that there were some insurance claims not paid for from jobs done on the weekends. Even though insurance reps were spoken to, apparently the actual confirmation of comprehensive coverage could not be done until the following Monday. The customers in these cases were not sure what kind of coverage they had. Is this a common problem? Do you just write it off as a loss, or is there some other way to handle this situation?
Anonymous

Comprehensive Coverage Verification Problem on Weekends

Post by Anonymous »

I have a waiver for retail customers(a sticker I add to the invoice) stating that the customer is liable for any fees the insurance company doesn't pay. With their car there you should be able to get enough info to track them down.
Anonymous

getting paid

Post by Anonymous »

BejuEnt,

This happened to me once and only once because of my own lack of understanding how the system worked. I just wrote it off due to my ignorance. Based on your post I am not sure when you say insurance reps, do you mean the actual insurance company that issued the policy or do you mean the network handling the invoice processing of the glass claim. Either way that information is just a few clicks away on a keyboard and it is at there finger tips. Unless, and I can't imagine there is, an insurance company who still is not using computer technology today.

It is hard to believe that people would not know what the premiums they continually pay for cover but nonetheless many don't. I can understand forgetting your deductible though and as I type I am not sure of mine off the top off my head.D">

In the future for this situation after you have exhausted all your information avenues. Explain to the customer the problem and tell them they can pay cash and submit the bill on there own. Maybe even have a couple of postage paid envelopes on hand with current addresses to mail it it. Then you have been paid and it is there responsibility to recover there money...that is of course if they have coverage.

These were just my thoughts, maybe others have another approach to this situation.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: Comprehensive Coverage Verification Problem on Weekends

Post by Anonymous »

To clarify, the network who handles the claim calls the insurance compay and I can actually be on the phone with both of them at the same time if need be. Even if I called the insurance company myself, the information/conversation would pretty much be the same.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have never had this type of dealing with any network(Safelite,Lynx) who is under contract to handle claims for a particular insurance company. Reinvolveing the insurance company kind of defeats the insurance companies purpose of using a network to minimize claim volume in the first place. In the past, whether I have called on my customers behalf or they have called on there own, an authorization number has been granted with name and policy number . Sorry I can't help you much more than that as I direct bill all invoices or am paid cash and the customer if they want will recover their out of pocket. So my advice is still the same in this situation.

Are you using what I call billing agencies (ACT, Glasscomp Etc.)?

Sorry I cant offer more help on this one. Maybe some of the WSR Techs who primarily deal with networks would be will to offer some input!

Pay it foward,

Brian

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i'm new here and would like to know who do you call to verify coverage. what info do you give,and get from the people you talk to. i want to direct bill, but don't know exactly what to do
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

sunshine wr,

You would directly call the insurance company or the glass network used by that insurance company. You would give them the name and policy number of your customer and they should be able to see if they have comprehensive insurance. They may have a few questions for you or may want to speak to your customer concerning the work needed but thats it. If you are talking to the billing network be careful not to let them steer your customer to a different shop. You will be given a Claim#(usually from insurance companies) or an Authorization#(Usually for the networks). They mean the same thing for the most part but you will have a much easier time direct billing if you get the insurance companies claim#. Either way you can direct bill. At least this has been my experience.

For more information on direct billing and writing a letter their is a bunch of information in the archives. Good luck.

Pay it foward,

Brian