Nail polish!!!!!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Evo

Nail polish!!!!!

Post by Evo »

Can anyone tell me if there is any way possible to remove nail polish from a repair that actually works! There are idiots out there telling people to put nail polish on chips to stop them cracking until it is repaired...UNBELIEVABLE!!! :eusa_doh:
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Nail polish!!!!!

Post by Glasseye »

Never come across that one before,would probably use acetone, to remove the bulk of the surface contamination and then probe and/or drill out the impact area until I was sure all traces were removed and there was good access for repair, finishing off with moisture removal before starting. Note; use the acetone sparingly only on the surface of the glass.
Is a customer always right? - No, but they are always the customer.
Mike Allen

Post by Mike Allen »

There is a couple of internet how to's that tell people to do this. I even read one that said to put the nail polish on the inside of the windshield and keep reapplying as neccessary until it stops.

Also, that duct tape or any tape placed over the crack will prevent further spreading.

Another I've heard is to use caulking. The same kind used in bathtubs.

Can't forget superglue either.
wilz

Post by wilz »

Can anyone tell me if there is any way possible to remove nail polish from a repair that actually works! There are idiots out there telling people to put nail polish on chips to stop them cracking until it is repaired...UNBELIEVABLE!!!
by Evo

Do you mean like within the repaired area or around the repaired area? If it is around the repaired area, i'll just try to scrap it off with the razor and use alcohol to clean the area.
Preaching the Gospel of Windshield Repair.
wilz

Post by wilz »

Can't forget superglue either.
by Mike Allen

Yeah, i have seen that one too and around here i see alot of those similar to suction cups they place directly on the chip from inside the windshield believing that the chip will not spread further.
Preaching the Gospel of Windshield Repair.
Evo

Post by Evo »

All over the chip in every nook and cranny and then some. I saw one windscreen that looked like a it had a severe case of chicken pox :eek: , if I didn't know better I'd probably think someone was trying to sabotage me!
vinyl-4ever

Post by vinyl-4ever »

I had a customer put super glue in the pit. He thought he was doing me a favor. It was removed very easily with my drill and a little ALCOHOL.
"Repairing What Others Replace":eusa_danc
screenman

Post by screenman »

Do you have to drink the alcohol before every job. Is this to ease the nerves? or does it increase focus.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Nail Polish will usally pop out over time or dis lodge it self with water and uv. I usally does not last. You may try what was allready mentition scrape or drill it out.
Bullseye WSR
Sikandar

Post by Sikandar »

I had a customer last week call me to do a repair.

He had 2 chips on the car in the centre of the screen. He'd scribed a deep circle around both of them on the outside with a razor blade. Someone told him it will stop it from cracking.