5 minute repairs?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
shermfiddle

Coister on-board

Post by shermfiddle »

Has anyone heard of a company out of Tacoma WA. that claims they can do a windshield repair in 5 minutes? I saw a nice tent set-up with a sign that says "Five Minute windshield repair." I stopped by and ask what kind of injector they use and the guy showed me a Delta injector. I couln't stay but plan on returning to check this system out. I can do a repair in about 15 minutes if pressured but never in 5 min. It takes 5 minutes just to call the Networks? This outfit is a franchise out of Tacoma WA.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

5 minute repairs?

Post by Coitster »

Shermfiddler,
Most companies advertise they can do chip's in 5 minutes or so. In order to do a quality job to fix a chip you are going to need 15 to 20 minutes. I am sure that guy takes longer then 5 minutes. I am also sure that his customers probably don't complain. The 5 minute sign is just that a sign designed to draw people in. Thats it, if its only taking him 5 minutes to do a repair and he sticks to that, I am sure his repairs suck.
David
Coitster
Glass
desertstars

nwra

Post by desertstars »

If he's doing a windshield repair in five minutes it's more likely he replaced it.

If he is doing a repair in fifteen minutes, he should go to work for a company that is in the business of replacing windshields.

There is a difference between shoving super glue into a windshield hole under pressure and an esthetic repair provided by a competent and caring and properly trained technician.

That particular dip is the type of particular dip that I continually rant and rave against in this forum.

I can do a repair in under five minutes if a customer is looking for speed.

It would look bad when I'm finished and the next time he'll decide to replace the windshield instead of having it repaired.

I wouldn't even consider it.

That is exactly why replacement companies don't belong in the repair business.

If you care about quality repairs, don't even consider being "pressured" in the first place unless you are working at a car wash or unless you have no pride in workmanship.

In either case, "quality" doesn't even enter this equation.

Edited for language
wisecrackwr

nwra

Post by wisecrackwr »

...replacement companies don't belong in the repair business.
I hate to say this (not really), but I am the owner of a repair/replacement company and I am offended to hear you throw out such a comment. I do quality replacements; however, I do quality repairs just the same. In fact, I do more repairs than replacements because I look out for my customers best interest. If you are going to go around and say stupid $#%! like that then you are in the wrong. Just so you guys know, my average repair takes me approximately 25 mins.
Delta Kits

You are wrong!

Post by Delta Kits »

I completely agree Chris. Please accept my apologies, I have let this go on too long.

The replacement industry is NOT the problem here, and it is pointless to sit here and throw accusations at them, and label the whole group, for the perceived actions of a few.

There are plenty of repair only guys that care nothing for quality as well, so I don't think that the ability to do replacements means that you no longer care about the quality of your work.

There are a lot of excellent repair techs on this board that also do replacements, and I feel they have been attacked unjustly. We will do what it takes to keep this forum more civil towards all our members.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Coitster

Re: Replacements

Post by Coitster »

Hey Guys,
Ok, here is my take on this. Some may dissagree but here it goes. Any glass company has the right to do anytype of work. Wheither it be Auto Glass (both repair & replacement), Commercial, or Residential. They are all related fields. Granted their are a lot of shady operations out there in the glass business. That doesn't mean others should be penelized for it. I have absolutly no problem with a glass company being a member of any repair orginazation. I personaly think where all the hard feelings come from is that fact that there are so many bait and switch companies out there. Yes the government made laws for that kinda stuff in the Auto Sales industry, they just havn't gotten around to the repair part yet.

When a company goes into business it has the right to sell anything it wants to. It's unfortunate that so many companies has decided to treat the business unfairly or for that matter be so dishonest with the general public. Or for that matter try to have a set up test that is totaly bogus so they can release very flawed results to a state assembly. I won't name any names here....:::Caughs Loudly::: "IGA". I have the unique advantage of being from all sides of the business. I used to replace windshields, and repair both. The reason I got out of replacing is because of all the garbage involved in it. Thats not to say if things ever got better I wouldn't consider getting back into, probably not, but hey I won't ever say ever. I have agree'd with DesertStar on very nearly everything we have discussed on the forum, however I think the post about replacement shops having no business in the repair industry was more spoken out of frustration then anything else. Other then that, I agree with him most of the time.
David
Coitster
Glass
desertstars

Windshield Repair Techniques, Sales, and General Business

Post by desertstars »

You are absolutely right about the frustrated part, David.

Certainly, there are excellent, dedicated repair techs out there who also perform replacements.

Perhaps I assumed that was a given.

Obviously it was not.

Therefore, I find it necessary to apologize to any replacement person out there who took offense.

The "bait and switch" people know who they are. And, even some of them cannot be blamed for that practice because it is forced on them by an employer's business philosophy.

Let me qualify that statement.

"Some" employer's business philosophies.
mepoozer

Remembering how we started this Business

Post by mepoozer »

Hello- I have seen one of the "5 minute" repair places in Colo. and for one don't know how they do it in 5 min., but I guess it gets the customer in and once it is in the progress it should finish to be a good repair.
The person I saw was in a parking lot and around here that is "not the way to do business." I have called every where and , not only is it against the rules here (unless in un-incorporated area, which he wasn't) but they can fine you like someone in this post has mentioned...
Just my 2 cents worth... Karen
WIN-1

Post by WIN-1 »

For future reference
Please accept my apologies in advance.
If I generalize someday and anger somebody, just remember since we're all in the glass business- a bunch of rock throwing might not be in order!

Ken
mepoozer

Post by mepoozer »

Hey Ken- I hope what I posted wasn't wrong. I was mainly answering the post of anyone seen "5 minute repair" places. I have talked to you many times and have nothing but good to say about Delta and you and the products.... :D
Like the saying goes-"Poeple who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" . Don't know who's quote that is but it is true! We have to stick together and help each other- there is force in numbers..Karen