2004 Dodge

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
desertstars

steering

Post by desertstars »

I see the 2004 Dodge Dakota will be using laminated sidelites. I hope that trend continues.

When's the last time you fixed a bullseye on a driver-side window?
sydfloyd44

2004 Dodge

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Did a stone chip on a Volvo backglass several years ago!! Many of the high end cars have laminated backglasses. Some of the older suburbans have laminated backglasses, quarters, vents and rear door glasses.
It is becoming more and more common in newer vehicles, especially in the high ends like the BMW's which is supposed to have a 6 or 7 layer door glass. They are mainly doing this for noise suppression.
Should be an interesting future!!
gaf

?

Post by gaf »

Where did you hear that the side glass is going to be laminated? I do paintless dent repair too and laminated side windows can sometimes make pdr a little more risky.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Exactly, Sydfloyd.

Foreign cars particularly have been involved with installing laminated side and backlite glass for a couple of years now.

Quietness and decreased UV (heat) penetration have been their reasoning.

Makes sense; can only benefit us in the repair business when damage is repairable.

Kudos for you.

And, GAF, do a google search on the 2004 Dodge Dakota with a + laminate subsearch. Also, a search for European glass with a + subsearch under laminate.

Laminated side and back lite glass is nothing new to the European market. I've been waiting for it to happen here for a couple of years.
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

1st

Post by Nelson »

If an automobil has laminated side windows wouldn't they have to be enclosed in a frame? If they were not in a frame wouldn't the edge be exposed to water and the PVB be able to weather? On my practice windshield it is enclosed in a frame. I have not messed with many windshields out of the vehicle but I would imagine that if the side windows were laminated they would be like this. I have seen a few cars that have frames on the glass. Mercedes-Benz is this way. At least the ones that I have seen.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

I think you are correct about the frame or a track.

The question of replacing tempered with polycarbonates, bi or trilaminates goes on.

Anyway, it's complex and with the exception of some high end cars and buses, over the horizon at this point.

AGRR has an article in the, I think, May 2002 issue that addresses some of the pros and cons if you are interested further, Nelson.