Land Rover

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
sydfloyd44

replacement

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Brian,

Thanks for the input and I must say, it is a pleasure to have an excellent board like this with people like yourself and many others offering this info and views!!

The reason it is a Carlite Bulletin is because, as you are aware, Carlite was owned by Ford until Visteon was launched and they broke loose in 2000. Carlite was just the Glass division of Ford and did all their OEM. That was my dumb in calling it a "service bulletin" (aka TSB) which it was NOT. My bad choice of wording!!!

Now you really put a kink in my thinking!!!!!!!

I think stone chip in the shade band is a good example as to why not to repair a Ford heated windshield. For those not familiar with it, the darker shade band is the laminate that is tinted, not the glass. As most are familiar, stone chips in the shaded area of the w/s can cause the shade band to lose its color under and around the stone chip, regardless of its severity, but usually not till it has been there for a little while unrepaired. This shows how a stone chip, no matter how minor, penetrates all of the way thru the outer lite and the chip will actually touch the laminate, therefore showing how a stone chip can effect the laminate. A clean bullseye will typically only touch around the outer edges and a star can touch along some or all of the legs. I believe this is where the concern has come into play because the Electrical Insta Clear w/s covers the entire w/s area.

Ok, that is my thought for now. Thanks again for giving me a "new angle" of thinking on this!!! I look forward to further thoughts on this topic!!