Odor removal

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

They are getting $125.00 per car for the ozone machine to be put it in for an hour and half here.
autocosmetics

Post by autocosmetics »

Nelson,

The Atmosklear seems expensive, but it goes a long way. I've done vinyl and leather repair for about 20 yrs, and decided to add wsr and detailing. Had a hard time with the wsr for a long time, couldn't seem to make a decent repair. Lots of advice from this forum, and lots of practice, and I'm finally getting it! I sold my detail van because I got too busy with vinyl repair on school buses, and also too many were doing it here--and they were doing it so cheap. I could do better with other things. They were only getting about $40 a car for odor removal, sometimes less--and to do the job right it takes some time. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, do some research by calling shops in your area and checking their prices on odor removal. PDR is a good add on for windshield repair if you have the time and patience (and $$$) to devote to it. I'm working on pdr now, and it's not easy. But the market's wide open here for it, so I'm determined to learn it!
DaveC

datatranz

Post by DaveC »

Hey Autocosmetics .....

Just thought that I would pass off another possible "lead" for you in your vinyl repair business ....

My wife is a Dialysis Nurse Manager and all of her patients are dialyzed while reclining on vinyl chairs. Her company pays big money to have the chairs repaired and steam cleaned/sanitized on a regular basis. Federal and State standards usually mandate that these chairs be in good condition/repair so that any blood that might spill can be easily wiped away and not be absorbed into the cushioning medium.

In Ohio, you should at least have Gambro, Renal Care Broup and some other "major players."

Might be worth checking them out, if the sight of blood doesn't freak you out:)
desertstars

rainy days

Post by desertstars »

I need to add something if I may.

An automobile is not a closed system.

If you have an operating heater and/or summer air conditioning, you are constantly transferring air over the coils. That air is taken from the inside of the vehicle and recirculated with some outside air mixed in.

Oderous substances will over time adhere to those coils just as bugs accumulate on a radiator.

Unless an effective ion system is installed from the onset, odors WILL eventually adhere to the AC evaporator coil.

The only way that I know to remove those odors is to either attack the evap coil directly or cut them off at the pass with ionizers before they do the damage.

That's a job for dash- removal experts, I think.

Yes, one can deal effectively with the source of odors through various available methods today. IF they are easily accessed.

The question then becomes whether or not it is a viable adjunct to the w/s repair business or better left to specialized shops when it comes to completely removing odors as well as the sources.

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse in this regard, but, PDR or lense repair makes more sense to me.
autocosmetics

Post by autocosmetics »

DaveC, thanks for the tip, I'll have to check into that.

As far as the odor removal goes for the auto heating/cooling system, Atmosklear had sends detailed instructions (if you ask for it) on how to run the products through the ventilation system to destroy odors throughout. I never tried it, so I can't say how it works. But I will agree, desertstars, that pdr or lense repair would be a much more lucrative add-on service.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

That's interesting, autocosmetics.

When it comes to residential (or commercial) A/C, placing an electronic air cleaner in-line with the air flow is quite effective. But, that's easy to accomplish. Any old tin knocker can do it.

I need to check out exactly how Atmosklear suggests attacking the auto evap coil which is normally quite difficult to get to.
Nelson

Would be nice to see more profiles filled out!!

Post by Nelson »

Atmosklear treats the coil by having you spray the odor removal spray into the cowl under the windshield for the fresh air intake. Turn on the A/C with fresh air on and spray let run for 5 to 10 min. This will get the product over the coils. You can also set the A/C on Max and spray in the the intake on the inside of the passenger compartment. Run for a few minutes and that is it. Complete cleaning of the air system. I am going to purchase some of the cleaner and try it and see who it works. I think it is an inexpesive way to get the odor out and I will report back if it works.

Nelson
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Ah, so.

Had my car detailed a few months ago. The guy did spray a freshener just as you said. That squashed cherry smell didn't last long, of course because it was merely a masker.

If you find that product is effective as an evap coil odor remover, I'd sure be interested.