So what do I approach a star?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Hi Im just starting to practice and have made several nice little stars with a spring loaded center punch. Now how do I fix them, what am I or should I be looking at etc. I have tried following the video and the resin dosnt go rushing in like it did for that guy! At the impact point there is a white mark with some damaged glass. Is this where I want to center the injector? The white mark is very small, does it need to be drilled? (ive tried it and know when Im through the first layer, but still no luck with flow) do you try without drilling then drill if no luck? How do you guys visually determine at the start if it needs a hole? Could I be tightening the injector to much closing the star? Ive tried flexing the star around the injector. Do I apply constant preasure with a probe and if so how long? Do I just flex it? Should I expect it to fill all the legs and make it disappear? Im sure this has been asked several times, But Im tired and just wanta go to bed! Id jsut wanta get some sence of acomplishment with this thing!
Thanks All
boyd

So what do I approach a star?

Post by boyd »

Jonny, I feel your pain !!!Throw the video in the garbage. You need to find someone about an hour away from you, who you aren't competing with, to teach you. What kind of system are you using.? Where are you? There would probably be someone on this site to train you. Im just out side of Nashville TN. There are many helpful people on this site. We will be able to help over this site however, again .... find someone to train you "hands on".

BOYD
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Hi its the Delta unit, using their resins. Im in the Niagara Region, Ontario Canada. This is just a add on for my PDR. I figured I could offer it to my retail customers, when Im doing a dent. Im not interested in doing it on the lots as I dont want to tred on anyones toes. As far as I know and if anyone here is also from Canada coreect me if Im wrong, This is something the insurance companies dont just pay for here. It seems the big thing in the States is the free repair and just bill the insurance. I know for me if I have a windshield that needs replacing and I want to go through the insurance, Im on the hook for the first $300. That said to repair a windshield, its just going to come out of a guys pocket. I have a guy that does some of the lots for $25 a car (thats about $18US) To me its not worth the agravation at that price. If I can get a retail customer, I figure I should be able to get around the $40 mark.
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

stars

Post by Delta Kits »

Throw the video in the garbage.
First of all, do NOT throw the video in the garbage. Over 99% of our customers learn windshield repair from our training video, and there's no reason you can't too.

If i'm correct, however, this was a kit purchased on ebay? If not, let me know. It is possible there could be something wrong with your kit, pieces missing, etc.

As with any kit we sell, even if you buy it on ebay, we will be happy to provide you tech support. This forum, however, is not the place for tech support, give us a call and we can make sure that you've got all the pieces, and figure out what's going on.
Delta Kits, Inc.
boyd

Re: Optic-Kleer

Post by boyd »

I knew you Delta guys would take care of him. My comment came from my personal view of another companies video. It showed it being very basic and working perfectly everytime. We all know that is not the case.
Still, nothing can take the place of "hands on training" . Jonny , you got lucky, these guys stand behind their products even if you don't purchase it from them
desertstars

drilling

Post by desertstars »

jonny.

First off, you are on the right track. Practice, practice, practice and read this forum. (Especially the past posts in regard to star repairs.)

Secondly, as far as insurance companies in Canada are concerned, if in fact they do NOT cover repairs, that is a positive and not a negative. If it is a general rule that someone will end up shelling out @ $300 for a replacement, does it NOT make sense to shell out $40 to repair?

Even in the lower 48, it was common for people to just go ahead and replace a repairable windshield until a few short years ago. They are much more savvy today about shoddy installations and much more hesitant about breaking the factory seal nowadays.

Not to mention the increases they see when the next year's premiums show up.

Go for it. It's a perfectly logical add-on to your PDR business.

But, go back and read sentence two, if you will.