Large trucks & Semi\'s

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Disclaimer

Post by Anonymous »

Ok Grace and the Guys.... What do you use when you have to stretch to fix windshields on Large Trucks, Semis and Motorhomes???... It seems like it could be a chore on some of the bigger vehicles just trying to set up the device, thanks again...
Anonymous

Large trucks & Semi's

Post by Anonymous »

"Stretch" is an understatement for me! At only 5' tall I have to use a ladder. The one I currently use I purchased for right at $50 at home depot. It is light-wight, but very sturdy with 4 wide steps and a hand-hold at the top for safety. For Semi's I climb right up on the hood. I know some techs like to have the hood opened and work from the engine. This doesnt work well for me. It's usually all greasy and slippery in there, and finding a good foothold, as well as suitable place to place my equipment is difficult. If I drop anything, it falls all the way to the ground underneath the vehicle... another hassle. That is how I handle units with the engines in front of the cab. The class A motorhomes and cab-over engine semi's are another story. I work off my ladder for them. It's awkward, to say the least.
Some units have slanted hoods, and I am able to set my equipment there by using that stuff they sell for keeping throw rugs from slipping. Whatever the vehicle is, I have figured out a way to get to the windshield. But to be honest... I love the chips that are at the bottom, close to the side LOL.
Anonymous

re: large trucks & semi's

Post by Anonymous »

Wow Grace that sounds like a struggle... thankyou, Ive never seen that question asked before, anyone else care to answer???
Anonymous

The stretch..

Post by Anonymous »

We carry 6' stepladders in our trucks for several city transit bus fleets we service. The fold down shelf provides a handy work area for our tools.

On most truck fleets, we always open the hoods and stand on the frame rail since the majority of modern trucks use fiberglass hoods. Since we're a little larger than Grace, I think we'd cause a lot of damage by climbing up on the hoods.

It doesn't take long to figure out a workable solution to repairing dings on these vehicles since they provide a steady source of repairs!

Mike Burstein
Dominion Windshield Repair
www.ChipDr.com