Just Venting!

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
bill lambeth

Re: Just Venting!

Post by bill lambeth »

I do fleet accounts mainly and since the bad times I have lost accounts to people doing repairs for 15or 20. but you know what they can do them because I will sit at home before I give them my quality repair for 15or 20 ..I can asure you that they are doing 10 minute repairs with half the air still in them.I think if you stick by your guns and do good work things will workout.You reap what you sow!Things are really tuff out there right now,people are doing whatevere it takes to survive but I will never give up my integrity for a dollar.My numbers are down compared to last year but atleast I have a job.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

We've always seen $15-$20 repairs in our area, but the guys who offer those prices aren't around long. All the reputable windshield repair technicians in our area charge 3 times that amount and have the majority of the business. I always charged more than everyone else but still managed to do more repairs than my competitors. I never quit calling on someone just because they have someone doing the work for less. More than likely that someone is doing a lousy job, won't show up when they are supposed to, or won't be in business very long, in which case my opportunity will come as long as I am patient and keep my quality up. We aren't getting rich at $60 per repair so I'm with Bill, I'm not about to do them for $15.

I believe $60 is a bargain for a high quality windshield repair so don't sell yourself short. If you drive 20 minutes each way to do a repair $60 is not enough in my opinion. There will always be a market for the $99 paint job, but by no means does the lowest price get all, or even most of the business. Everyone, including the insurance companies, know there is a difference between a $99 paint job and a $5000 paint job. It's up to each of us to educate our customers and the insurance companies on the difference between the work we do and the work our competitors do for less money. Sell value, not price. For instance, make sure your customers understand that a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if the guy who did the work is out of business the next time they call. We all look for bargains, but most of us understand that in order for someone to do a good job they have to have some incentive.

So let us hear some of the reasons some of you have for choosing you over the competition. Do you explain this to your customers? Do you deliver on your promises? Is there even one reason other than price that anyone would go to one of your competitors? If so, can you make that reason disappear? Sometimes a little self examination goes a long way in helping to build and maintain a thriving business.

I don't mean to offend anyone as it is none of my business what you charge, but I believe you should charge what you feel your service is worth and then figure out a way to let your customers know why you are worth what you charge. I'm sure there are some $15 guys out there who do good repairs, but my guess is they are few and far between. I explain that to my customers who are shopping for price only and in most cases I think I am able to make my point. However if price is their "only" concern and quality does not matter to them I have to be willing to let them walk. That's a tough thing to do, but regardless of how low you set your price you will never have "all" the customers, so you just have to decide which customers you want, the ones who only care about price, or the ones who care about price but more about quality. I'll take the latter group every time as the price only customers will never be show you any loyalty. As soon as a competitor offers a lower price they are gone, and let me assure you, there will always be someone willing to offer a lower price.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
bullseyeben

Post by bullseyeben »

Just to clarify, these are big name companies around here. I dont know if I should say names or not on the forum. A couple are national companies. The ones that are $14.95 are not glass companies, but Oil change places that offer the service while someone is there getting an oil change. The $19.95 companies are large companies that you have heard of. $24.95 Is another national company. As far as I know, I am the only locally owned and operated guy around here.

In my local area (The Hurricane Valley) there are about 30,000 people within a few miles and I am the only w/s repair guy out here. About 20 miles away is the larger city of St. George where all of the shops are at. They do charge a "travel' fee to come out here, which works in my favor with the local people out here. But i have found that many are very faithful to some of the bigger companies in the city, and just have it done there when they go to town to shop. There is also a religious aspect as well to deal with, probably 70% of the people I talk to want to know if I am LDS or not right of the bat.

I think it will just take some time to build up customers and it just gets frustrating.

Thanks all of you.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Utah does offer special challenges for sure, however I have seen a number of companies do quite well even though they did not price match. Being LDS certainly gives a competitive advantage in your area.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

I'm not sure how some of the other 3rd party EDI processors work, but have you ever thought about trying one of these companies?

When I first started in 06, I was faxing directly to lynx and was being charged $7.50 per transaction, this was a lot of money and I was ignorant to the Windshield Repair Business. I slowly did my research and figured out how I could reduce my costs and put more of my money in pocket, quicker.

I found DataTranz and I started with them just by using their Fax EDI Service and they don't charge you a setup fee and there is not software because you're faxing the invoices into them. This takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get paid and cost either $2 or $2.50 per transaction and the money is directly deposited into your account.....

I now use their software and it takes about 2 weeks to get paid and I pay $.99 for Repairs and $1.99 for Replacements, and they take SGC and Lynx....

On another note.........

You have in your possession the equipment and the know-how to make some decent $$$$, but you have to get out there and make it happen....

Do you have a really busy, high traffic street/road where you live?

Get yourself a couple banners and a canopy and find an area where you can setup and do repairs in the parking lot around the really busy road. I know it can be humbling to get out and do this, but there is potential.

If you do all of your calling from a cell phone, take your phone book or computer with you and while you're waiting for people to stop, make your calls.

Also, you can advertise in a bunch of FREE online sites.......

If you have a Craigslist section, advertise there, believe me it helps!

Anyhow, if you ever need any help with anything PM me and I could assist you with some of the sites you can advertise with.

If you don't have a logo, I could help you with that as well (FREE of Charge), no catch. I would just like you to succeed in the business and not give up!

JJH