Slow start

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
anythingclose

Slow start

Post by anythingclose »

I have finally gotten everything together and started actively seeking business. So far I've been concentrated on trying to obtain fleet accounts. I'm offering new fleet business a free sample repair for the purposes of comparing my quality to that of the competitioin. I have contacted probably 30-40 businesses so far, and I haven't even had one of them take me up on the free repair offer. I'm just curious if this sounds unusual to you guys, or if it's normal to call a whole bunch before you land your first job. Any advice is appreciated, as always.

AnythingClose
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Slow start

Post by t4k »

With the current economic situation it is tough to find work in the fleet business. I have accounts I've had for 20 years that don't want to spend any money. I can only imagine trying to find new customers would even be tougher.

Hang in there and good luck!!
screenman

Post by screenman »

When you have called on that same 40 companies say 10 times then you may start to see results. Sorry this may sound harsh but a first time call on a fleet customer seldom works, they we find need constant attention from you before you get theirs. Some of our best customer took way over 10 calls before we got the first job. I feel if it is hard for you to get them and you do a good job then it is going to be a lot harder for the next guy wanting your business.

I wish you lots of luck, keep at it they will come.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I agree with t4k and screenman, except for that in my experience most fleet managers will not turn down a free repair if properly presented. These days people are so afraid of being taken advantage of that they are suspicious of everyone. Are you taking in a sample repair to show your work first? Are you making it very clear that your offer has no strings attached? What you are doing has worked very well for me so I would not give up on it just yet. I've found that even if the fleet manager is not loyal enough to his company to take advantage of a free service that will save them money, if he has damage on his personal windshield he will usually jump at the chance for a freebie.

My father in law recently had two windshields repaired and was very disappointed in the quality of both. In fact he said he could not even tell that one of them had been repaired. I was relieved to learn that neither company used Delta Kits products, but frustrated that anyone, regardless of the system used, would do such a poor job. I was also frustrated that he did not contact me first so I could recommend someone in his town. The point is that unfortunately there are many windshield repair technicians who either do not care about the quality of their work, or are incapable of providing quality work. That is bad for our industry, but it can be good for a skilled technician who is willing to do a few free repairs to prove his or her skills.

Like screenman said, keep going back to the same companies on a regular basis. Fleet managers are used to dealing with flaky vendors so they may just be testing you to see if you are reliable. Be persistent and consistent and when they get to know you some of them will eventually come around.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.