Applying Urethane\Dealing with Co-workers

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
YotaStyle

Applying Urethane\Dealing with Co-workers

Post by YotaStyle »

Hey ya'll! Here's my back story....I have been installing glass for a little over 6 years now. I've been lucky and worked side by side with a couple different 20+ year installers for long amounts of time each. Both of my teachers trained me the old school style (no power tools ect) but there were a couple differences. One of them was laying beads...*insert dah dah daaaaahhh* :lol:

The first owner/installer always ran a notch that looked like a V but squared at the top instead of a point. -Had one leaker in the 2 years I was there! Always pulled cowlings.

The next owner/installer had the most experience (27+?) ran some V notch when it needed to be very tall like on an older Oldsmoile. But also taught me to run a round bead. I was hesitant at first but became very comfortable running them and really prefer it now. In the 4 years since I have been running rounds that are about dime-nickle sized Id say...and have had MAYBE 4 leakers. I always pull the cowls with a couple exceptions like a DW1168.

The company I work for now has one other installer and he has about 21 years on his resume. Job quality and performance between us is REALLY starting to be an issue... :evil: His typical install: He may pull one cowl out of ten, and he insists on running a V notch and "marrying" the joints with the tip of his gun. Stuffing every windshield and either using a "bone" or hook to pry the cowling back over the windshield if it gets hung up. :!: He hardly uses a cold knife and beats the heck out of some cars paintjobs with his Equalizer Express which luckily are hidden by moldings. I dont have a huge issue with using my Extractor, but dont depend on it like he does and I seem to inflict a LOT less pichweld damage if any.

He constantly gets mad at me when he sees my "runout" beads on an old windshield because my beads are round. His argument is "You cant run a round bead because it leaves air bubbles in the urethane making it weaker and it will most likely end up leaking anyway!! Stop doing it!" Mind you when I started at this company I was fixing on average 4-5 warranty's a week that were jobs originally done by him or the guy he trained (which I replaced because of all of his leakers :lol: ) Seriously, There were days that the only tickets I had were fixing there eff-ups! Talk about frustrating! :roll: I had never heard or seen anything like it and honestly wonder how they are still in business.

Now I have been employed here for about 8 months and I have honestly lost track how many leakers, removal and reinstalls, and molding related warraties I have been sent out to fix...NONE of which have been my jobs. Don't ask me why he isnt required to go fix his own mistakes, because Lord knows Ive asked many times! :lol:

So heres my question:

Am I in the wrong for running round beads?! (Keeping in mind my job quality track record)

Should I continue on installing like I am? Or start stuffing like he does just to make him happy? Or am I simply just doing it old school and need to "get with the *hacker* times?"

Does the shape of bead really matter if the cowling is pulled? (Obviously he is doing something wrong to have that many leakers right?)
Also keep in mind he is technically the "Lead Tech" for the company and kind of like a boss so telling him to simply shove it isnt gonna work guys! :?

Thanks so much for your time, any insight and/or facts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Eli the Glass Guy ;)
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Applying Urethane\Dealing with Co-workers

Post by Glasseye »

Bit of a dilemma for you there YotaStyle, the key point is your standard and ethics. If you are being sent to repair the other guys eff-ups then the boss places trust in you that you can put it right. Bead shape is contentious, I used precut nozzles, so most of the time it was a V shape, key points are that the bead is continuous and is 100% attached all round.
Stuffing or Diving, as we call it in the UK, is a bad practice, it is vitally important for the correct deployment of the passenger airbag and the structural strength of the chassis that the glass is firmly anchored, using this method, there is no way you can guarantee this 100% of the time. I have repaired a few screens, where I have found the bottom bead has either missed the glass completely or been pushed down and not fully anchored the screen. Customers usually complain of wind noise when this has happened. Butchering the pinchweld is a no brainer, you'll end up spending more time and using more materials to get it back to a good condition for re fitting, that is of course if your buddy is actually bothered to do that. The only possible argument they can use against you is you might take a little longer in doing the job, but if your boss has got any sense, he will realise that your reduced rate of call backs, make up for that and the businesses customers are getting the job done right first time.
Reading your post makes me think that the dilemma lies more with your boss than with you. They have a loyalty to the lead tech, however misguided, because they use you to put his jobs right and probably don't raise the issues with him. My advice to you is stick with your standards, you know you are doing it right and that is what matters.
The Glass Guy

Post by The Glass Guy »

I really appreciate your feedback! So instead of feeling like I am underappreciated every day at work I have decided to start my own LLC! LOL I'll show them what job quality and customer service can do in the hands of a good installer. Maybe I'll be buyin him out someday, who knows! ;)

Thanks again!
TXGlassman

Post by TXGlassman »

We require all techs to pull all cowls and run the "V' cut. The reason we choose the "V" cut is because ALL of the urethane manufactures instructions state that its is the preferred method. If you where to ever have a issue the urethane and they find out you did not follow the manufactures printed instructions they are not responsible for paying fotr any loses or damages. All major training course and certifications as well as the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard state that the "V" cut is the preferred method even by the vehicle manufactures.

Ok so now that I have said that , I'm impressed with your come back stats but even with your low come back rate ,if your where employed by me you would run the "V' cut and pull "ALL" cowls. If you have a come back you fix it under my lead techs or my supervision , all come backs are done in shop no matter what, they are video taped and photographed for training purposes. All techs get 1 come back as a freebie (leaker) and after that they are gone . I have had to let one tech go in the last 10 years. Our come back rate has been 0 for leaks since 2001 when we implemented the new rules.

As far as the lead tech not fixing his come backs that's an owner that needs to fire a lead tech.

As far as you starting your own company good luck. What area are you going to be servicing?
The Glass Guy

Post by The Glass Guy »

Thanks! I'll be based out of Chandler, AZ but will service the entire valley.
StellarChip

Post by StellarChip »

TXGlassman wrote:We require all techs to pull all cowls and run the "V' cut. The reason we choose the "V" cut is because ALL of the urethane manufactures instructions state that its is the preferred method. If you where to ever have a issue the urethane and they find out you did not follow the manufactures printed instructions they are not responsible for paying fotr any loses or damages. All major training course and certifications as well as the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard state that the "V" cut is the preferred method even by the vehicle manufactures.

Ok so now that I have said that , I'm impressed with your come back stats but even with your low come back rate ,if your where employed by me you would run the "V' cut and pull "ALL" cowls. If you have a come back you fix it under my lead techs or my supervision , all come backs are done in shop no matter what, they are video taped and photographed for training purposes. All techs get 1 come back as a freebie (leaker) and after that they are gone . I have had to let one tech go in the last 10 years. Our come back rate has been 0 for leaks since 2001 when we implemented the new rules.

As far as the lead tech not fixing his come backs that's an owner that needs to fire a lead tech.

As far as you starting your own company good luck. What area are you going to be servicing?
I am impressed with your attention to detail and adherence to the agrss standards and your commitment to quality installations but after 18 years in the industry I have a hard time beleiving that you've had NO leakers in 10 years. I've seen fantastic techs have comeback issues from time to time due to customers not following the proper care instructions and either slamming their doors with the windows rolled up or driving the vehicle before the sdat. You simply can't control every aspect of the windshield replacement once its left your techs care and supervision. I'd hate to send a great tech packing after spending 15 years with me and making me lots of money and safely installing thousands of windshields because he had 1 leaker and if I was the tech I'd be really upset that you care more about your reputation than the well being of his family. But, it seems to be working for you so I'm happy that you've been so successfull. Cheers!