Looking into add HR...

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Auto Glass Rescue
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Looking into add HR...

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

candyman wrote:I spent several hours a day for months researching. I called people that were using the products. I scanded the parking lots and took inventory at different times of the day of how many vehicles needed WSR or HLR. I asked potental customers why they hadnt fixed their HL or WS. I narrowed my search down to about three suppliers. I chose Deltakits because I got answeres to my questions and they applied no pressure to buy. Brent and Korey appeared to be honest with their answers and felt like home folks when talking to them. I have no regrets with my choice. That was three years ago. Like I stated earlier. I was making money within the first few days with the HLR with no formal training and only the instruction sheet. There are things you need to know that arent in the instructions. You have to develope your own techniques and learn how to judge your sanding. You will learn by sight and feel when the lens is ready to be polished prior to applying the UV coating. Adding double tape to avoid scratching the bumper or body. Detaping your blue or green tape prior to applying. This will reduce the chances of pulling up the paint film on repainted bumpers or bodies. Wetting the tape prior to removal to help reduce the same. This is where your experience is developed. You do feel a little green at times when you make a mistake, like not Lifting off the lens prior to turning your sander off etc... For less than $500 you would be in business and could earn that back within 10- 12 HLR jobs. After that you are looking at about $4.70 for pads (normal car) and about $5 for Chemicals and prep-spray. Less than $10 per vehicle. Thats a realistic figure based on my use of the products. Now thats not including your gas, vehicle use, Business cards, cell ph, insurance etc... Have a good day. WE have a rainy Sunday morning
Thank you sir for you time and info!
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

candyman wrote:Good morning. I had 3 HLRs on Wed. I used the infiniti 4.1. The Dodge Ram & the 1996 Dodge truck were easy to do. I came face-to-face with a 2005 Impala. If you get into this business charge more for this vehicle. I though $65 was enough. I was wrong. I used 13, 180 grit pads to get to the surface of the lens. The lens was pited, and had been treated with a spray coating. The lens looked great after the restoration, but it took me almost 2 hours. I am moving the price higher for all future impalas. Its tough on the sander and your body. In the past I wore out a metabo orbital sander. The New Griots orange orbital holds up better and produces less heat.
The coast of extra pads is about $15. There are a few other vehicles that are tough, but this is almost always the same. I give senior citizens a 10% discount. My custoer today benefited from that special.
I can usually get 2 to 3 headlights sanded per disk if I have to sand at all. I wet sand using a sanding lubricant. Keeps the disk from filling up. You might want try it to save disk changing time and disk life.

Ry6
ray6

Post by ray6 »

A few years ago we did a study of location vs. potential headlight deterioration. If I remember correctly, in 2 Wal-Mart parking lots averaged about 3 1/2 cars in 10 needing restoration. In Google's parting lot, it was 1/2 per 10. At a busy intersection, 2 per 10. This is in the heart of Silicon Valley on the west coast. Your mileage may vary.

Ray6
ray6

Post by ray6 »

candyman wrote:Good morning. I had 3 HLRs on Wed. I used the infiniti 4.1. The Dodge Ram & the 1996 Dodge truck were easy to do. I came face-to-face with a 2005 Impala. If you get into this business charge more for this vehicle. I though $65 was enough. I was wrong. I used 13, 180 grit pads to get to the surface of the lens. The lens was pited, and had been treated with a spray coating. The lens looked great after the restoration, but it took me almost 2 hours. I am moving the price higher for all future impalas. Its tough on the sander and your body. In the past I wore out a metabo orbital sander. The New Griots orange orbital holds up better and produces less heat.
The coast of extra pads is about $15. There are a few other vehicles that are tough, but this is almost always the same. I give senior citizens a 10% discount. My custoer today benefited from that special.

Hi Candyman-
For difficult headlights like these and also many SUVs I've gone to razor scraping. It's much faster and saves expensive sanding disks. After scraping, I start with 320 grit to remove the scrape marks. Another thing I now use is sanding lubricant. It really extends the life of disks and many times can use the same disk on multiple headlights.

ray6
candyman

Post by candyman »

What type of sanding lubricant do you use?
I dont like using a razor blade. Too easy to get finger tips cut or scrape too deep on the lens. I used a 3 inch blade on a lens and as long as the blade was flush it worked fine. The problem started in the tight areas and curved sections of the lens. The small blade like we use on the WSR kept flipping. Maybe had I used a holder for it I might have gotten a better opinion.
ray6

Post by ray6 »

candyman wrote:What type of sanding lubricant do you use?
I dont like using a razor blade. Too easy to get finger tips cut or scrape too deep on the lens. I used a 3 inch blade on a lens and as long as the blade was flush it worked fine. The problem started in the tight areas and curved sections of the lens. The small blade like we use on the WSR kept flipping. Maybe had I used a holder for it I might have gotten a better opinion.
We have it manufactured for us, but in the past we used Speedokote sanding lube which is very good and quite inexpensive.
ray6
vintage

Post by vintage »

Water makes a very good sanding lube, available everywhere!
t4k

Post by t4k »

vintage wrote:Water makes a very good sanding lube, available everywhere!
LIKE !! :lol: