3M restoration kit

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
rtclaus
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

3M restoration kit

Post by rtclaus »

Hey I'm looking to add headlight restoration to my WSR and replacement business. Has anyone used the 3M restoration kit it cost about $400. If so what is your opinion?
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: 3M restoration kit

Post by t4k »

I don't know anything about the 3M system but for the same money you can buy a Delta Kits system complete with all the tools needed. I know their system works, I use it everyday.
pommy

Post by pommy »

rtclaus wrote:Hey I'm looking to add headlight restoration to my WSR and replacement business. Has anyone used the 3M restoration kit it cost about $400. If so what is your opinion?
The only thing that the 3M kit has which is definitiely better, are the sanding discs...

Buy the Delta and use 3M discs if you can get them - I can;t get them here in Australia, otherwise I'd be a happy bunny ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I've never seen a 3M kit for that amount. I have seen the ones for $20-$35 in the auto stores. I've redone several HL's that people used various auto store do-it-yourself kits. Call Korey or Bruce at Delta and look at the kits they have on this site. I looked at many products prior to choosing Delta and tried several other brands. Delta by far has been the better alternative for me. I walked into an advanced auto store and they had another product on dispay with a real headlight with before and after results. I went to my vehicle and returned with my kit. I restored a portion of the headlight and the Manager was shocked at the results. They still have that headlight on display but I get referrals. Dont believe evrything you see on TV or on Youtube. Brent's team is always checking products and if he finds something better, he will let his clients know.
t4k

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:I've never seen a 3M kit for that amount. I have seen the ones for $20-$35 in the auto stores. I've redone several HL's that people used various auto store do-it-yourself kits. Call Korey or Bruce at Delta and look at the kits they have on this site. I looked at many products prior to choosing Delta and tried several other brands. Delta by far has been the better alternative for me. I walked into an advanced auto store and they had another product on dispay with a real headlight with before and after results. I went to my vehicle and returned with my kit. I restored a portion of the headlight and the Manager was shocked at the results. They still have that headlight on display but I get referrals. Dont believe evrything you see on TV or on Youtube. Brent's team is always checking products and if he finds something better, he will let his clients know.
I've seen the one he is talking about. It is a commercial version complete with air tools.
pommy

Post by pommy »

The only thing that the 3M kit has which is definitely better, are the sanding discs...

Buy the Delta kit and use 3M discs if you can get them - I can't get them here in Australia, otherwise I'd be a happy bunny ;)
Let me re-phrase that - I personally find that the 3M are better, they are not "definitely" better - just my opinion.

You can wet-sand with the 3M, and that is part of my process.

Have a great day!
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
rtclaus

Post by rtclaus »

Thanks for everyone's insight, I am going with the 3M kit, but using Delta kits Coat to protect.
ray6

Post by ray6 »

I wouldn't go 3M for the following reasons:
1) Needs heavy duty compressor to handle air sanders. Eliminates most mobile or lot work.
2) Includes 3M sanding disks which are very good, but overpriced.
3) Uses wax based polish for final coat. Won't last more than a few months. For about the same proce, you can put together a real kit from Delta.

Tip: Go with Infinity 4.1.

Regards,
rays
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

ray6 wrote:I wouldn't go 3M for the following reasons:
1) Needs heavy duty compressor to handle air sanders. Eliminates most mobile or lot work.
2) Includes 3M sanding disks which are very good, but overpriced.
3) Uses wax based polish for final coat. Won't last more than a few months. For about the same proce, you can put together a real kit from Delta.

Tip: Go with Infinity 4.1.

Regards,
rays
I havent used them yet but found a local supplier for the same discs that Delta sells. MUCH cheaper then the 3M discs which seem to be thinner and the backing is lighter weight.
Paul Weinstein