Ready to Jump into HLR

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
blemon56
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Ready to Jump into HLR

Post by blemon56 »

I’ve been studying the HLR forum for months… and I’m ready to jump into the HLR business. I’ve ordered the DK HLR kit. My WS Chip Repair business is focused on the RV community so my working environment is usually in campgrounds or state parks. My main concern is power for the R/A sander. I have a Honda 2000 but would prefer an inverter for those situations where A/C power is not available.

I’m curious as to which inverter is being used… and are you using pure or modified sine wave output?

I’ve searched for a cordless R/A sander/polisher with no luck. I’ve looked at the AC Delco unit Pommy uses… but as so many others recommend against a rotary unit… I’m leaning towards the inverter.

So many folks have shared great information on this forum. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Ready to Jump into HLR

Post by Brent Deines »

Use at least a 750W (1500W Max) Modified Sinewave inverter. You may get by with a smaller unit temporarily but to get full power I would not go with less than 750W continuous. http://www.powerbright.com/XR750-12.html

In fact, if you can afford it I would go with something even a bit bigger with some additional features. I kind of like this one that Costco sells and it is still very affordable. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... d=11540218

Whatever you choose be sure to hard wire it to your battery. Plugging a 750W inverter into the cigarette lighter socket or even using battery clips is not recommended. You want a good solid connection.

I'm not pushing powerbright, they just happened to fit the bill for a reasonable price. Plan on spending $50-$75 for a decent 750W or $125-$175 for a similar 1500W.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ray6

Post by ray6 »

blemon56 wrote:I’ve been studying the HLR forum for months… and I’m ready to jump into the HLR business. I’ve ordered the DK HLR kit. My WS Chip Repair business is focused on the RV community so my working environment is usually in campgrounds or state parks. My main concern is power for the R/A sander. I have a Honda 2000 but would prefer an inverter for those situations where A/C power is not available.

I’m curious as to which inverter is being used… and are you using pure or modified sine wave output?

I’ve searched for a cordless R/A sander/polisher with no luck. I’ve looked at the AC Delco unit Pommy uses… but as so many others recommend against a rotary unit… I’m leaning towards the inverter.

So many folks have shared great information on this forum. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The cordless route didn't work for me. Started with a DeWalt right angle. Short battery life, gets too hot to hold, no R/A, expensive, over $300 including spare batteries and a car charger.

Finally ended up with both Metabo and Groit 3" R/A. I think both of them draw less than 220 watts at full speed, but if you press hard, they'll draw more (and shorten the life). These tools are not meant for high pressure. We don't sand much anymore, and will usually hand sand for a single polishing step.

If you go the inverter route, choose an inverter with 2X or 3X the wattage of the heaviest tool you are going to use, usually a heat gun. The current draw of these inverters is very high, figure 240 watts out is 20 Amps in. Car batteries are not made for this type of service and will soon sulfate your car battery (KILL). If you must use an inverter, hook it to a deep cycle battery made for this use. These are the type used in boats and golf carts.It will cost more, but it can be charged with your car battery if connected correctly, and will save money in the long run.

I now use a cheap HF generator that puts out about 800 watts when power is not available (rarely). Mostly used for heat gun or UV curing lights, but can also be used for R/A. At around $90, it's almost disposable in that if it lasts 3 years I'll be happy. Only downside is that it is 2 cycle (premix gas) and will walk away if not secured to van floor due to vibration. I have a 100 ft. extension cord on a reel and a few extras available, so it's rare that I can't get power except on fleet and large lots. Even then, most will bring the vehicle to you.
ray6
blemon56
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by blemon56 »

Thanks Brent and Ray6... May have to re-think my inverter idea. I work out of a Saturn Vue and may take some work to add a high cap battery in the back. Most jobs will have power available (something I didn't pay attention to with WS repair), and the generator can back me up when it's not. I'm used to being self sufficient. Too bad there's not a better cordless option.

Regards,
Bill
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Be for you give up on the idea check with an inverter/battery expert. Lots of people run inverters off regular car batteries and many inverters have safety features that will not allow your battery to get too low. I have a two battery setup in my truck but I've run inverters of single automotive battery setups in the past without any problems. Still, much better to speak to an expert, which I am not.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.