When drilling what do you do!

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Good job

Post by Anonymous »

when drilling do you turn the drill on full blast and drill away or do you berp the bit in, berping would be where the drill has a button where you push it and let go while holding the drill where you want to drill. so you push it and it turns on then off and so on till you have drill the opening where you need it.

I saw on this web site Delta kits they had two drills 5,000 rpm and 10,000 rpm do we really need that much rpm in windshield repair was just wanting to know what you all used and why!
Anonymous

When drilling what do you do!

Post by Anonymous »

Sprinter,

I use the two speed dremel that came with my DELTA KIT. It has the 5000 and 10000 RPM speeds you mentioned. Personally, I always start out with the 5000 RPM setting whether I am drilling the site of impact or if I am stop drilling the end of a crack. I do this to score the area enough so the bit wont run away. I then use the 10000RPM setting to finish drilling to the desired depth. Personally I won't drill unless it is absolutely necessary. I find that most repairs I have encountered do not require drilling but might require a little more time and patience instead.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: When drilling what do you do!

Post by Anonymous »

Good stuff... Say Brian, or anyone else, which type of bit do you prefer (consistently or for specific repairs)? Thanks!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

waysandmeans,

I prefer the tappered style bits. I like to try to keep the diameter of the hole small whenever possible when I am drilling.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

We teach our technicians to use the low speed on their dremel tools. The lower speed gives more control, less likelyhood of the drill "walking", extended life of the bit (less rpms=less friction and heat= less wear). On some of our breaks we drill in a circular pattern and then only in a clockwise fashion so as not to fight the drill. We use a ball tip, less chance of the drill skipping and the ball size is used as a "depth guage" indicating when we are at the correct depth. We never drill to the laminate. Bill