Pit Polish

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Pit Polish

Post by screenman »

I see no problem with using a Q-Tip to help fill a long crack, I do see a problem with not finishing a pit properly.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

When you use a Q tip; are you working outside?
I like to use a mini eyedropper. Its about half of the size of the regular eye dropper, has a smaller hole at the end, and you only need to load it with a few drops of resin.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I seldom work outside, but when I do I make sure I use my large UV shield at all times.
puka pau
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by puka pau »

The appearance of professionalism goes a long way toward vailidating the reality of professionalism. The more you use items found in most suburban bathrooms to do repairs the greater the ultimate challenge to convince any interested customer who scrutinizes your efforts that you are, in fact, a "professional". Screenman doesn't "have a problem with" using a Q-Tip or an eyedropper to repair long cracks. Can you sink a nail with a rock instead of a hammer? Of course. Does it "work"? Absolutely. Do I have a problem with anybody using that methodology? Not unless I need a carpenter and the job applicant shows up with a rock.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

What method does Puka Pau use to do long cracks?
I dont like the idea of sliding an injector along the crack, as I feel that it flexes the glass and introduces air into the just filled crack..
For me, an eye dropper is a light touch on the glass, therefore less chance of air bubbles.
screenman

Post by screenman »

My customers are interested already, which is why I am standing there doing the job for them. The customers I want to do work for in my area know I am the one to come to with long crack repair, as I am the only one filling them properly. The Q-Tip is only one of many methods I use for filling long cracks.

I would imagine Puka just shouts at the resin and it jumps in on its own. :D
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

My story may be a little off track here but may help. A few years ago I crushed one of my fingernails, the nail turned blood red and the throbbing pain was excruciating. I went to my local accident unit, the nurse took one look, got a paper clip, straightened it out, heated it up until it glowed red then pierced my nail. The relief was immediate and it stopped my nail from falling off at some later date. I think this demonstrates that if it does the job that you want it to do, then use it.
Mattcurtiss
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Mattcurtiss »

Has anyone found a good cloth to use, I still haven't found a great way to do this. Looking for a steady way to polish.
Thanks for all the help
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

i use a wine cork .
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

The single edge blades I use to scrape off the excess resin come housed in a piece of protective cardboard. I use this as my polishing pad.