WSR worldview

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
scratchy

Shirts

Post by scratchy »

I think one thing people new to the WSR business will find is they have to retool how they think and view the world around them. I mention this because I had to start looking at even the most simple things very differently. I am going to list a few things and if anybody thinks of some others chime in.

1. Driving around- just driving around you haved to: watch where you are going, look for chips on cars moving and parked, find good locations to drop in and talk to people and look for locations where to park and land business.

2. Getting used to finding work and not just getting paid- I think this is the greatest leap which will keep someone from jumping into WSR. How are you going to land a set amount of work consistently every single week. Building a multifaceted approach to landing work, networking and promoting the business tactfully is complicated but doable. Being proactive about meeting a quota during the week takes some getting used to because daylight burns away quick and other people love to waste your time.

3. Learning to know when people are in the mood to fix chips. There are times during the week when you can spend 3 hours finding nothing and times when you can do a days work in less that 3.

4. Learning from other businesses mistakes and successes. Have you seen a sign or advertisement that confuses the customer or is too small to read correcty? All the time. Have you seen someone running a great mobile business with a quality product? They should stand out like a neon sign and make you go whoa! That's a sharp cookie running that outfit. What can I learn from what they are doing.

If you can add to this go ahead.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

I couldn't agree more with your statement.
David
Coitster
Glass
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

5. High overhead is bad doodoo. There are so many temptations to spend more money on the business and then hard to get out of. I was approached by two credit card reps. who wanted me to get in a contract with them. No way. $35 per month just to take cards? Dent Dude came up with the best thing going for sure.

6. Keeping a low discreet profile, just high enough to get notice by people who need the work. There are people out there looking to stick it to you for the fun of it. I stay away from lawyers whenever possible and don't go out looking to land work from them. I feel lawyers can be 21st century pirates of sorts, you know what I mean.

7. Stay fresh and positive. If a customer sees you worn down or in a bad mood they think your work is going to suck no matter what it looks like. I try and put on a good show and make positive comments about how it is turning out if they are watching. I always walk away from the job having done everything possible to make it a good day for them. There are times when I don't feel up to doing door to door. You have to be in "the zone" mentally to make it come off right new face after new face.

8. Everything I learned in college about marketing and most things about business was complete rubbish and has no relevance whatsoever. This business is learned by watching other successful people and implementing what works.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: WSR worldview

Post by screenman »

I though I would bring this post back up as I am sure more people could do with reading it.

Point no: Is something I live by, make your customer smile every time you visit them, crack a joke or two, but keep it short time is money.
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Windshield911 »

Very good points in this thread.
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

The shy and timid need not apply. Screenman hit it. This is a very social business. I'm shocked at how many people don't have a clue about the ability to fix their windshields. Yet I know when I have a customer that met a good windshield repairman in the past. It's not just about fixing windshields, its about being confident and knowledgeable enough about what you are doing to educate your customers into coming back and finding value in the service that you offer. People want your service, even if they don't know it at the moment. Don't be shy. Tell them what you can do for them.