Hot Windsheild Query

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Andy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Hot Windsheild Query

Post by Andy »

Is it possible to cool down a hot windsheild with a reflective windsheild screen? I am talking about the screen that is used inside a vehicle to keep the vehicle cooler. My query is, if we tape the screen outside the windsheild for sometime, will it make it any cooler? Just a thought... Has anyone tried this?
paulrsf

Re: Hot Windsheild Query

Post by paulrsf »

Not sure whether this would work or not, but there are any number of ways to cool the windshield down to the proper temperature to make a repair. Using a reflector is not typically one of them.
Paul R.
Andy

Post by Andy »

So what would be the best way to cool down the windsheild in a situation where you cannot move the car into a shade, the windows are closed (or partially open), you have no keys to switch on the A/C (or the customer is unwilling to allow you to switch on the A/C)?

I was faced with this kind of situation a few days ago where the windsheild temperature was a whooping 148! It was so hot that I could not touch the glass or the car for more than half a second! Luckly it was a bulls eye repair and I somehow managed to repair it using less pressure on the bridge. If it was a star break, I am sure the cracks would have become larger in that heat.

So what is the best way to salvage this situation? Anyone?
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Check with Liquid Resins, they sell a very nice umbrella set up, just mount away from the damage, works great! Set it up for 5 minutes or so and go to work!
Used mine for 15 or more years, they put it on sale often.
candyman

Post by candyman »

We had a discussion about something similar a few weeks ago on here. Mist spray the windshield to cool it down. Put a chip saver over the break to keep water out of the break. Once its cool enough to touch, under 100 degrees, make your repair. You can also use a wet towel. I carry a Large green, thick towel to help cover the area while it cools. I also use my UV screen as well to block the sun. There are a number of ways to cool a WS. Iam suprised you dont have access to open the car doors. Are you doing fleets? I dont do any WSR's without a signed authorization with Breakout disclaimer.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Cover chip and spray mixture of alcohol and water.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Andy wrote:Is it possible to cool down a hot windsheild with a reflective windsheild screen? I am talking about the screen that is used inside a vehicle to keep the vehicle cooler. My query is, if we tape the screen outside the windsheild for sometime, will it make it any cooler? Just a thought... Has anyone tried this?
Yes I have tried it and yes it will help cool the windshield. Anything that blocks direct sunlight from the glass will cause a significant drop in temperature. If possible, roll down the windows and move the entire vehicle into the shade to help cool the inside as well. Many on this board don't like running the air conditioner through the defroster vents but I have been doing it for 25+ years without incident and found it to be quite effective, especially when used in conjunction with shading the windshield from direct sunlight. The A/C starts out blowing warm air when the vehicle is first started so there is no immediate thermal shock like there is if you were to spray with cold water.

If you do use water or water and alcohol to cool the glass be sure that it is not cold when you spray it on. Cooling too quickly can cause the glass to crack.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Thank you all for the suggestions! :)
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

I have a dealer that I service weekly where all the cars sit directly in the sun. There are no trees, awnings, or anywhere shaded to move the vehicle. I use several methods depending on the situation and my mood I guess. One is getting the keys to open the doors and allow the air through. I also run the air through the defroster but not allowing it to run as cold as it could. I also have a piece of fleece that I use to shade the damaged area, it is several layers thick and probably about '2x'3. Before I place it, I put the UV shield down leaving a hump in the middle since its kind of rigid. Then I place the fleece over that so the end result is a large shaded area with a tunnel over the break to allow air o low through. This helps to keep the fleece from getting hot and just acting like a blanket. I have also sprayed water, used wet towels, and even some of the glass cleaner (alcohol based) so it would evaporate quickly. The glass cleaner was only once when I didn't have any water left, its too expensive to use regularly. I also use these methods in conjunction with others, like putting the wet towel under the fleece/UV shield. Whatever you do.... COOL IT SLOWLY!!
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
DavidCook

Post by DavidCook »

I use a water mist and sun shade
Certifications:
Sika Urethane
Dow Chemical
Dinitrol