Fighting an uphill battle

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
DeLand Headlights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Fighting an uphill battle

Post by DeLand Headlights »

I've been doing HLR (part time) since 2006. I've done 100s of cars over the last 7 years. I recently decided to try and do this full time. I used to get $50-$75 per car. These days It's hard to get $25 per car, and I'm lucky to do 3 jobs a week no matter how much I advertise (I've wasted insane amounts of money on advertising), put out flyers and biz cards on cars, stand on street corners holding a sign, visiting used car lots and auto repair shops and whatnot. It seems like the public perception of the HLR industry has been destroyed before the industry ever even got off the ground because of internet DIY myths, crappy "quick fix" products on store shelves, late-night infomercials ect. I live in a small town in Central Florida. Everywhere I go there are 100s of cars that need headlight restoration, but I just can't seem to get enough work to make a living, no matter what I've tried. I NEED HELP WITH MARKETING IDEAS!!! Is ANYONE having success? If so, will you PLEASE tell me what's working for you. I'm feeling very frustrated. I have recently begun to experiment with facebook, linkedin and craigslist, but so far not much success.

Jason
Headlight Restoration DeLand
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Fighting an uphill battle

Post by t4k »

You're right.....the market is flooded with instant DIY products that don't work. I have my group of customers (wholesale) that are loyal to me but new customers (retail) are harder to find! I really like repairing a mess a customer has done to their own car with one of the 5 minute repairs as seen on TV!!
DeLand Headlights

Has anyone tried just going door to door at businesses. I've heard that there are WSR guys that do it. The thought of going door to door makes my stomach turn, but I'll do just about anything that's been proven to work.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Find detail shops that don't do headlights. If the state does'nt enforce laws for headlights you are fighting uphill. You need to look at the upper end of car owners. BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Jeep Cherokee etc... . People that have nice vehicles that detail, often will have their HL done. Many are not aware it can be done. Educate your community every chance you get. Visit senior centers, Chamber of Commerce, school Drivers Ed Classes. I find many detail shops simply buff the lens. They look better, but they lack the high gloss or clear wow factor, because the detailer doesn't use a UV product. Don't waste your money on advertising. Incorporate windshield repair to off set slow periods. They both generate cash from the same market. HLR requires more hands on time 45 -60 min, WSR about 15 - 30 min. Work smarter in your market, by identifying your market. Have a great weekend. Candyman
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I agree about the damage done by all the misinformation and rip-off products. I've lost count over the years how many times I've had some genius tell me the SECRET how to do HLR like, toothpaste, steel wool, etc. The difference now is that it's not just the occasional guy from a detail or body shop.... it's average Joe everybody. A lot of people think they know some secret about HLR.... doesn't even work, turns right back yellow, can be done with toothpaste and a rag, or just some wipe-on wonder stuff. It sure was different back in the day.... the common response was "isn't that on the inside? how do you do that? I didn't know anything could be done for that..."

Perhaps a written warranty/money back guarantee would help get retail business. Dealer work is tough now, with all the competition driving prices into the ground, plus the ability of dealers to do it themselves. I think it's worse than WSR, because HLR is seen more as a DIY type thing... and anyone can pick up a kit for $20 and give it a shot, and the in-house body and detail shops already have the basic materials and skills to do it.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

glassdoctor wrote: Perhaps a written warranty/money back guarantee would help get retail business. Dealer work is tough now, with all the competition driving prices into the ground, plus the ability of dealers to do it themselves. I think it's worse than WSR, because HLR is seen more as a DIY type thing... and anyone can pick up a kit for $20 and give it a shot, and the in-house body and detail shops already have the basic materials and skills to do it.
I totally agree with the above statements !!
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

All of the above statements are true. While what we are facing is basically an epidemic, the big companies really ruin the business with the DIY products. They mislead the public and tell them HLR is easy and you should do it yourself. EVERY single retail job I get is from a customer has tried them and failed.

Back to topic and a positive outlook on this. I would assume FL is harder to find work that where I am. But you have to just work harder and a bit smarter. There is no such thing as a $25.00 HLR. Stop doing that

Here are some ideas to make yourself seem more valuable.
1. Offer a warranty. I offer a warranty as long as they own the car. The warranty is 100% for two years and $30 for the rest of the time they own the car. For more info on this, PM me.
2. Develop your website. I dont know if your presenting yourself as a company or a a one man shop, but your presence on the web is super important.
3. STOP all the advertising. Its a waste of money. Ive tried everything and it doesn't work.
4. DO spend the money on printed material that looks really good.

Heres some e ways to find business.
1. Set up camp at a festival with other vendors. We clean up at these. HLR to the public is a direct sell. You have to sell yourself and the quality of your work and overcome the objections of the DIY crap. You have to make them believe and collect their cash. Its really not hard.
2. Did I mention stop spending money on the advertising?
3. Do you have a brochure (high quality) or a rack card? Theses are super important.
4. Start selling to fleets. Companies who are in the business of manufacturing and have no choice but to be in the trucking business for distribution are the best costumers. They have a vested interest in their employees and what they're hauling. Trucking companies are a hard sell. They don't want to spend a dime if they don't have to. Freightliners, Macks and Internationals are your best prospects. We get $100 - $150 per truck and offer a five year warranty. I try and stay away from the Volvo's as much as possible.

Retail cars are profitable but they don't pay the bills. I don't go after this business other than a web blog which really helps customers find us. We were at $89/car and I lowered it to a "special price" of $79 and Im getting quite a few calls now that the weather is warm here. Our bread and butter is the dealers and we have just about 50 that we work with. Were averaging about 150 units per month.

These are just ideas that work for us but of coarse its how you put the idea into motion that gets you where you want to be.

EDIT: There is a shortage of truck drivers right now and truck driving schools are popping up all over the place. These are a slam dunk every time. Easy money.
Paul Weinstein
DeLand Headlights

Wow, those are a lot of great ideas that I haven't thought of to try. The only thing that I feel I have to tell you is that $25 on average is the MAXIMUM that most people will pay in my market in this economy (I live in DeLand Florida...it's a dumpy hick-town). Sure, I used to get a lot more (when I lived near a metropolitan area), but these days, in my area most people just won't pay more than that. In my area it is primarily a safety issue (lots of old cars and dark country roads). There simply are NOT many people with high end cars in my area, and there are HLR guys charging $15 bucks all day long at the used car lots and flea markets. If I want to drive more than an hour to Orlando I can charge more, but it's a major hassle. I'm going to try some of these ideas. Thank you SO much for the help :)
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I would make Orlando the target. An hour commute isn't a big deal, IF you build up work there and have some fleet and dealer type accounts to service on a regular basis. That will allow you to go after other retail work since that's now your "area"
DeLand Headlights

I really appreciate the time and thought that you all have put into your replies. The manufacturers, the truck driving schools, great ideas that I have not yet tried, or even thought of. I do have some car lot accounts in my vicinity, but haven't yet headed towards the big city to really establish enough accounts to keep a steady income coming in. You all have inspired me, and that is something I really needed at this time. Thank you again. I hope some more people who are having success at HLR will chime-in as well. I really enjoy this business, even with all the unusual challenges.

Jason Feder
Headlight Restoration DeLand FL