A+ Sales and Marketing Your Business

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: A+ Sales and Marketing Your Business

Post by Kgobin »

Direct marketing is, and will perhaps always be, one of the best ways to get a steady stream of new customers for your business. One of the first keys to your success should be narrowing down the audience you would like to cater your services to. Make sure you find out who your competition is and understand what part of the market they're already targeting. Next I would say you need a call of action. Your audience must be asked to do something and in your case that would be to get their damaged windshield repaired. Hopefully, this information is helpful to you but if you have any other questions or concerns please post your questions on the forum or feel free to email, PM me, or call into Delta Kits.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
jrbball32

Post by jrbball32 »

Hey Adam D-

I'm really not advertising/selling anything. I thought this was a forum to help people, but apparently you have a different idea of what it's for and that's fine.

I was simply letting people know that with the popularity of web searches these days, the having and maintaining a web presence is a valuable part of a marketing campaign. I would have posted my URL on the post, but you're not allowed to so I skipped it. I've actually been in the repair business since last June and didn't launch a site until about Sept/Oct, at which time I had 3 leads in 4 days, that I didn't even try for.

Just thought it would help. Sorry to be an antagonist and wanting to see others succeed.

Jon
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

I am still around. Even though I have another biz I still do repairs. :)
Coitster
screenman

Post by screenman »

How are you doing stranger, good to here you are still around.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

SGT wrote:You know in the recent past, for those just starting out, dealerships were a fantastic place to get work and get a business foundation started becuase it was somewhat easy to aquire accounts since they have long known about the cost saving benefits of repair. Today, if you have dealership accounts hold on to them as this will eventually pass. I do not know if I would be wasting efforts trying to aquire more dealerships that may close though, that are not putting money into the cars becuase they are not selling cars, until this market turns around. Unless of course you live in an area they have not been impacted.

With that being said, where ever you our focusing your marketing efforts, if it is not working this business is so flexible if you are willing to adapt, imprivise and overcome current adversities. Consider diversifing your revenue sources. This preventitive maintenance recession friendly service may just be what customers are looking for. Cost savings is now hitting home harder than ever. Most marketing techniques generally are not new or unique as they have been written about in countless books. What is unique is how we as individuals implement these sales concepts to our service and deal with rejection.

MY MARKETING TIP: The seek damage and find the owner concept works best at small to very small business, say at strip malls or stand alone offices like realtors. On the other hand it is very hard to actually find the owner of a car who works for medium to large corporation. Do not rule these places out though. Contact the human resources dept. or company equivelant, find out if they have an employee discount program in place and sell your service. Obviously provide a discount! I have a couple large corporations that have posted our laminated flyers on company bulletin boards and also provided internal website exposure. It probably wont be the goose that laid the golden egg for you but it is continued free exposure and another source of potential revenue.

PS. The man known as Coister at one time established a "MASTERMIND" group that consisted of a few of us here on the forum and some not from across the country to share with each other all kinds of marketing tips with each other that have worked us. It was a territorial group in that only one person in an area could be a member for competitive reasons. Which is why some may not share openly on the forum and understandably so. It was a great concept but it ended up only being a few that continued to contribute and eventually dispanded. Dave and I still keep in touch and he is doing quite well in his new venture of a gourmet hot dog and specialty sanwhich grill cart. He still has a passion for chips though.

SGT. Maybe you could help me with this one. I have been juggling what would be the best approach in attempting my sales pitch or sales technique in marketing my new business adventure.
I'd like to start with dealerships just to get my feet wet. Afterwards I want to tackle the fleet companys. What has worked for you or anyone in the past or present when closing a sell to fleet owners. I was thinking as far as pricing either offer a flat fee and under that umbrella they would receive x amount of repairs in a given month, or price it the same as the networks do. Like the first repair is $25 and any after that is $15 per unit.

How about contracts? Most people in todays economy when you say "Contract" it scares them. Would this just be like a non- binding contract? If they want out they can?
Would fleet owners insurance not cover the cost of therepair? Basically could I not offer it as a "Free" service to them as well like I do to the retail world?

I want to begin marketing, I have a general approach knowledge I normally use with my current company. However when dealing with WSR I take this on a whole new level!
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
chris arena

Returning to the business

Post by chris arena »

After about a 4 year layoff, I am re starting my windshield repair business. In the past, I did a lot or repair, but another business of mine took off (Independent Insurance Damage Appraiser) and I did not have the time to do both. However, the market has changed and I need to get back into the game of windshield repair. I have kept my hand in it by doing free repair for family and friends. I try my best to do good work and have had no compliants yet.

In the past, I had a tent location and to be honest, It bored the paduddle out of me and I probable averaged at 3 to 4 per day on a weekend part time location. Recently, after reading this forum, I am planning to be a bit more proactive. And, as I am out and about during my day as an auto appraiser, I should have no problem in walking into businesses, dropping on a brief note and letting them know that I am in the area. (I shamelessly copied this idea from the forum and it seems a great way to go). I don't need my tent, which has gotten a bit ratty anyway. and I could use the excersize!

What about cold call telemarketing to the homeowner. Does this work, Does anybody out there in windshield repair land have any experience and or a script that works? I liked the forum idea of the "Power Of 5" and if I just made 5 calls at random daily, especially by using a reverse directery that pinpoints a target area. Has this tactic been done successfully?
Do you have a pet script?

Thanks,
Chris Arena
FrogKnowledge

Post by FrogKnowledge »

Still waiting for part 2!!!
FrogKnowledge

Post by FrogKnowledge »

Sorry I am dumb and didn't finish reading I thought they would be in different topics not all in the same post
DeLand Headlights

Post by DeLand Headlights »

I almost feel a bit silly posting on a thread that is almost 4 years old, but, any new ideas about sales and marketing HLR these days? The market has changed. The economy has changed. Is this forum still active? I only do HLR and have just recently discovered that "find a damaged car - find the owner and SELL/CLOSE" seems to work better than any other method I have tried in the past. As I drive around around doing it I stumble onto possible fleet accounts too. Seems to be working so far. I've been doing HLR since 2006 but just went to full-time a few months ago. Until I stumbled onto this forum last month, I never really realized how similar HLR is to WSR.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Some methods seldom change if it is a basic building block. People in my area are tight with spare money. The ones that take care of their vehicle will spend the money, if you can convince them it adds value, Improves safety, or has a benefit. I carry business cards with me at all times. If I see a vehicle that needs my service, I put a card on it . I will write a short message to the driver. Call me, I can improve your safety & value of your car at a fraction of the cost to replace. Iam a member of the Chamber of commerce and licensed by the city & county to operate. Thats on the business card. That leads the owner to recognize me as a legitimate business and they form an opinion or rather a sense of trust. I dont pressure any of them or do a hard sell. I carry a small photo album in my car with before and after photos to show. I educate the public every chance I get about HLR & WSR. I now have several knock off HLR guys in the area and the quality is not there. Potential customers that got burned shy away, even if they use store purchased methods. Stick to face-to-face and your quality of work will genrate referrals. Several are doing well with targeting office complexes, medical centers, and schools. These places normally support jobs, which means customers with a income to pay for your services. The other benefit is, these places draw clients or parents that may need your services. Schools are good because students that work, often has more spending capital than most of their parents. A positive plan will help. Always be prepared to adjust your plans based on your results. Have a great week.