Acid VS Non-Acid Resin

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Acid VS Non-Acid Resin

Post by Windshield911 »

Ponder, it can still seep into your bloodstream, I've read a lot of this in paramedic school. It's what can come up 10-20 years from constant skin exposure of the resin you should worry about. Ya know, things like cancer.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Brent,
Not to doubt you, but before I came over to Delta, I was finally able to get either Kerry or rep to admit their acid free resin did, infact, have a very slight amount in it. But so little they could legally market it as acid free, just as the FDA allows with food . You know your products well, but not so much all your competitors. Just saying.
Delta all the way!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

usmc68 wrote:Brent,
Not to doubt you, but before I came over to Delta, I was finally able to get either Kerry or rep to admit their acid free resin did, infact, have a very slight amount in it. But so little they could legally market it as acid free, just as the FDA allows with food . You know your products well, but not so much all your competitors. Just saying.
Delta all the way!

I probably know my competitor's resins better than you think and I did not mention GT or their resin in my post. I can assure you it was not my intent to say anything derogatory about GT or their resin products but I understand your point. Thanks for the clarification; I edited that sentence from my post.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Ponder im thinking the term "Wicked Smart" has never been used when folks talk about you? Lets look at the reality of the situation. Brent owns a company that manufactors a product but you dont think he may have done a great deal of research on it and its affects on users? On top of that he is without doubt insured and said insurance company is unlikly to insure anyone or a product without testing? For myself when the guy who makes something and family has owned it for 2 generations tells me something I tend to listen. Where you are just a irritating slub who likes to stir up stuff. Get a grip dude :lol:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have a good friend here in town, is a Novus franchise owner, has to hire all his repair techs because he can't go near resin anymore. His hand are almost premanently broken out, skin cracked and sometimes bleeding. Didn't wear gloves.

I have a smaller problem, but still have areas on one finger that stay rough and cracked a lot. Steroid cream is all that helps, but if I stop using it for a while it comes right back. Went fifteen years without gloves. I wear them now all the time. If you know whats good for you wear gloves so you don't become permanently damaged.

I always carried a pump up sprayer, a small one about half gallon or so, and kept it filled with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid for washing windshields. It came in very handy for washing resin or other stuff off my hands very quickly if I did get resin on them. Even yet I got sensitized to the resin. But I do recommend that you carry at least a spray bottle of some kind to spritz your skin if you do get some on you.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Nomad,
Thanks for the reminder about the small sprayer, will buy another tomorrow. Mine leaked and I just never replaced it. Great for your reason, but also could save a paint job if used on an accident quickly enough.
Mine was about a quart from Home Depot and very inexpensive. Thanks again.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I would definitely use gloves with non-acid resin, but I would like to buy some just because I am sensitive to chemicals and breathing around my repairs effects me.

I use orange hand cream from wal-mart pretty regularly, it's designed to break down resin :D

I've considered a respirator lol
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

Wow! I am a little late at reading some of the post on this forum, but it just makes since to me. Any chemical can and will absorb into your skin. The effects might not be seen or felt now, but somewhere down the road they will become manifest. I have been repairing windshields now for 4 plus years it took a while but I developed an irritation at the tip of a couple fingers. After a year of heavy steroid cream use I have it under control I think. It's hard to wear gloves especially in the heat but I really make a conscious effort to do so now. Though I wish I would have from the start as I was instructed.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I cant remember the last time I got any on my hands You learn to avoid it. Of course some injector systems leave a big run down the widshield when you remove it from the glass. More apt to get into it if its all over the glass. :shock:
impala-renegade

Post by impala-renegade »

I tried some acid free resin from autoglassrepairtechnologies and it is really really bad, leaves rubbery gunk on the glass that's very hard to clean and the pit filler would never cure all the way.