Time Between Coats

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
blemon56
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Time Between Coats

Post by blemon56 »

It appears that many are applying two coats of Infinity 4.1. I'm curious how much time you allow between coats without using heat to accelerate the process. Also, do you use a lighter coat because two will be applied? I tried to touch up a run the other day and smeared it... waited about 20 minutes and reapplied. It came out ok, but not my best work...
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
candyman

Re: Time Between Coats

Post by candyman »

Its rare that I apply 2 coats. If you are sanding correctly , you should not have to. If you need to apply a second coat wait till the first is dry, and make sure your applicator is wet, or it will drag. Some will apply a second coat, to give it a harder surface. I find it actaully gives a lense a thicker coating that can show scatch marks easier. I guess it depends on what part of the country you are located. That stuff is too expensive to waste, when not needed. Thats just my 2 cents.
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

I've really never used two coats... except on my last motorhome headlight job. The headlight fairing pinched the application pad and the 4.1 puddled on the upper edge. I didn't see the run until I finished the other lens. I tried to re-apply and it just smeared... so I waited and applied a second coat. Some of the posters on this forum indicated that they frequently or always apply a second coat.

Those that do... or posted that they do... Do you still? Do?

Sorry... it cracked me up!
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
candyman

Post by candyman »

Sometimes the milk solution will be on the lens when applied. Dont touch it! The majority of the time it will simply level out and dry nicely. If you are not seeing that at times you are not wetting your applicator enough.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Use a blow drier to accelerate the drying process and if you need to, apply a second coat. As long as its dry not tacky, you're good to go.

A second coat, in some cases gives the lens a shinier finish. Not all car but some cars.
Paul Weinstein
sglass

Post by sglass »

Hi.
I've tried secon coat 2-3 times but it drag and loks crap. I do one coat only and have one coat on my brother Vw Passat 2004 ( my test car ). After 2 yrs its looks good have some scratches from winter ice cleaning but over all good shine and solid coating. Winters are usualy +5 to -25 Celcius In my area lots of salt on the road. Summer time +25 to +38 Celsius.
Infinity 4.1 rules.

Tomas