WORKMANS COMP for the one/man buisness

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

WORKMANS COMP for the one/man buisness

Post by the big welshman »

Hey there GUYS A new law has come into effect that any one man business or DBA business will have to have WORKMANS COMP on there Liability Insurance .Large company's including Car dealers/Fleets Account are afraid of been SUEDE if something happens on there property The amount that a one man business will have to pay extra per year could be approx. $1000.00 ie 4% $4.00 on every $100.00 on earnings Gross or Net. :x :x :x :x :x
bill lambeth

Re: WORKMANS COMP for the one/man buisness

Post by bill lambeth »

I am sure that each state has their own law but I have been waiting on this to come about ! I knew that it was in the future!
screenman

Post by screenman »

we have quite a few customers over here that will not use you unless they have a copy of your insurance papers, seems a good idea to me as it keeps the less professional businesses out.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Screen ! I have liability insurance but not work comp ! Why would I do that when it is not required by my state? I am by myself now !
screenman

Post by screenman »

Sorry I was thinking public liability, what is work comp?
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:Sorry I was thinking public liability, what is work comp?
Workers' compensation is a form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course of employment in exchange for mandatory relinquishment of the employee's right to sue his or her employer for the tort of negligence. The tradeoff between assured, limited coverage and lack of recourse outside the worker compensation system is known as "the compensation bargain".

While plans differ among jurisdictions, provision can be made for weekly payments in place of wages (functioning in this case as a form of disability insurance), compensation for economic loss (past and future), reimbursement or payment of medical and like expenses (functioning in this case as a form of health insurance), and benefits payable to the dependents of workers killed during employment (functioning in this case as a form of life insurance).

General damages for pain and suffering, and punitive damages for employer negligence, are generally not available in workers' compensation plans, and negligence is generally not an issue in the case. These laws were first enacted in Europe and Oceania, with the United States following shortly thereafter.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Employers liability insurance, I think is what we know it as. How does that apply to a single self employed guy.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

The Big Welshman,
I would check with the MA. Workers Comp. Bureau to confirm this. The state of Maine does not require WC if you are a sole proprietor. It would really suck if what you say is true!
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Re the above it is true here in MASS workman's Comp for the one man business or a DBA as Company name I am trying to find out from my agent if it is nation wide in the USA? Guys keep your fingers cross no company's ask you for workman's comp. Its another way for the large companies trying to get rid of us one man business?? How much insurance does one need Liability/Garage Keepers/Rs# Boned with the State ?????????????????????? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Lots of customers out there. If one makes unresonable demands I cut them loose. Some are slow pay some you spend way toó much time looking for a approval or they want to much paperwork Cut them loose find thier replacement. 8-)