Marketing Advice?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Marketing Advice?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Craigslist works well for me. I never keep tack of how many I get through there but I know its more than just a few per month. I also use Google Adwords. The return has been satisfactory. I also have a blog (that I haven't updated in sometime becuase I ran out of things to write about) but along with the Google Adwords and the blog, Im on top of the search rankings for headlight restoration in my area. And we get $99 easy for every car.

Not really sure what to suggest to you. The dealers are hit and miss. Small used car lots are not in my target dealers becasue the y owner who makes decisions is never there and I dont have time to chase them. Mosatof the new car dealers we work with are imports like Hyundai, Toyota and Honda. Domestic dealers just dont get the cars that have issues.

Have you tried to hook up with some of the dent or paint guys in your area? I know a few of them around here and we share leads. Its not a lot but if I get one new account, its worth it.

Leaving marketing material on cars in parking lots doesn't work. People dont like and trash it. Ive tried that with 1000 pieces of a big card stock marketing material I made and I got one call.

Have you tried big rig dealers? We have a bunch of them around here that replace the HL's on every truck that comes in with bad lights. These are big money lots because you can save them a ton of money and still charge $100 per truck. Volvos are $150 with the biggest HL in the industry. These dealers understand the value easily.

Get on LinkedIn. Look up every dealer contact you can and connect with them. If Joe the used car mgr at the dealer that turned you down last week moved to another dealer, its time to revisit with the new guy.

Get into dealer service departments. These are gold and keep you busy. Meet with the service manager and have them sell your product for you. They charge $90 and you charge the dlr $50. A win win. provide the service reps with laminated selling tools for thier customers and hit the Lexus, Acura, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi stores. These are my busiest dealers in terms of service calls.

Last but not least, offer a warranty to dealers for one year and retail cars (dont call me crazy on this) but for as long as they own the car. Most retail jobs I do are old cars and while they like the idea of the warranty, we both know those cars wont be around long enough to get to refinish them. My warranty is 100% covered for two years and after that, a service charge of $30 applies - this way you get your money back and maybe a referral? Warranty SELLS!

If you want help, PM me your number and Ill help you out. You just have to remember that with dlrs, you are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to recon. They dont want to spend the money. Or of they do it inhouse, you may be able to do it cheaper and with much better quality.
Paul Weinstein
cvilleHR

Post by cvilleHR »

Hey Old Blue,

Unfortunately, all that I have ever gotten from Craigslist is spam. I wish I could get $100 per car... I'm really lucky if I can get half of that. Specifically, how do you post/advertise? The only way that I can post without being flagged is to put it in the services offered section, which is both a spam farm and a place that nobody looks at. I swear to God, if I get one more email inviting me to get a stay at home job, or one more person who needs a personal assistant...
So is there a trick to getting genuine Craigslist traffic?

I have a great website, and I have Google calling me once a week about advertising. Frankly, I haven't made enough money at this to be able to afford any substantial advertising. It's kind of a catch 22.

I haven't even attempted contacting the new car dealers in my area beyond sending an email. I guess I should, but aggressive solicitation doesn't come naturally to me. Especially considering that I look a lot younger than I am, I don't think I'd be met with much success if I walk into a new dealership asking to speak with a manager. I just can't convince myself that they'd be interested. Am I wrong here? I suppose so.

Have not tried PDR or paint people. I'll add that to my to do list.

Charlottesville doesn't have any truck dealerships, or I'd be all over it.

I'm making a linkedin profile as we speak. What's the method there, contact anyone who has anything to do with car sales?

I have the same problem with service departments that I do with dealerships. I can't see why a new car dealer would go for something like that, when they already have a whole shop at their disposal. Not saying it would look as good as my job, but it's hard to convince people around here that they aren't professionals at everything they do.

I also thought about inspection stations. Around here, many stations will fail a car for bad headlights. However, they usually sell the owner new lenses, at which point they make money on the sale and on labor, so why would they want to bring me on?

I think what I lack most is the self confidence to aggressively solicitate. Quite the problem in a business like this, huh? But I guess that if you guys are successful with dealers and shops, there's no reason I can't be.

WRF: Community based psycho-analysis sessions. Interesting.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

cvilleHR wrote:Hey Old Blue,

Unfortunately, all that I have ever gotten from Craigslist is spam. I wish I could get $100 per car... I'm really lucky if I can get half of that. Specifically, how do you post/advertise? The only way that I can post without being flagged is to put it in the services offered section, which is both a spam farm and a place that nobody looks at. I swear to God, if I get one more email inviting me to get a stay at home job, or one more person who needs a personal assistant...
So is there a trick to getting genuine Craigslist traffic?

I have a great website, and I have Google calling me once a week about advertising. Frankly, I haven't made enough money at this to be able to afford any substantial advertising. It's kind of a catch 22.

I haven't even attempted contacting the new car dealers in my area beyond sending an email. I guess I should, but aggressive solicitation doesn't come naturally to me. Especially considering that I look a lot younger than I am, I don't think I'd be met with much success if I walk into a new dealership asking to speak with a manager. I just can't convince myself that they'd be interested. Am I wrong here? I suppose so.

Have not tried PDR or paint people. I'll add that to my to do list.

Charlottesville doesn't have any truck dealerships, or I'd be all over it.

I'm making a linkedin profile as we speak. What's the method there, contact anyone who has anything to do with car sales?

I have the same problem with service departments that I do with dealerships. I can't see why a new car dealer would go for something like that, when they already have a whole shop at their disposal. Not saying it would look as good as my job, but it's hard to convince people around here that they aren't professionals at everything they do.

I also thought about inspection stations. Around here, many stations will fail a car for bad headlights. However, they usually sell the owner new lenses, at which point they make money on the sale and on labor, so why would they want to bring me on?

I think what I lack most is the self confidence to aggressively solicitate. Quite the problem in a business like this, huh? But I guess that if you guys are successful with dealers and shops, there's no reason I can't be.

WRF: Community based psycho-analysis sessions. Interesting.
Thats your obstacle/challenge right there. Over come that and you'll do fine.

Do you have bossiness Polo shirts with your company name on them? very important when you are face to face. Gives you credibility. And stop with the emails to dealers. Thats never gonna work. :)
Paul Weinstein
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

cvilleHR wrote:
...I haven't even attempted contacting the new car dealers in my area beyond sending an email. I guess I should, but aggressive solicitation doesn't come naturally to me. Especially considering that I look a lot younger than I am, I don't think I'd be met with much success if I walk into a new dealership asking to speak with a manager. I just can't convince myself that they'd be interested. Am I wrong here? I suppose so...

...I have the same problem with service departments that I do with dealerships. I can't see why a new car dealer would go for something like that, when they already have a whole shop at their disposal. Not saying it would look as good as my job, but it's hard to convince people around here that they aren't professionals at everything they do...

...I think what I lack most is the self confidence to aggressively solicitate. Quite the problem in a business like this, huh? But I guess that if you guys are successful with dealers and shops, there's no reason I can't be...
cvilleHR, I've started to reply to you several times but deleted my posts each time because there is just so much to say but the above comments from your last post are are pretty telling. Lack of confidence will make it impossible to succeed at this or any other business if you are responsible for sales and marketing so you are going to have to get past that. Aggressive solicitation does not come natural to many of us but it can be learned and with practice it does become much easier. I made my first cold call about 30 years ago and I thought I was going to throw up and if you got business out of one of the four dealerships you visited you are doing far better than I did. I feel pretty lucky if I get business from one out of every ten prospective customers! I was a punk kid in my twenties with no sales experience and like a dog smells fear, the prospects I called on could spot my inexperience the moment I walked through the door. Still, I kept walking through doors.

So, how do you build your confidence? First, ask yourself why you got into this business. If you are like me, you believe the service you offer has value and you already know others are making a good living at it, so obviously there is a demand. Now stop trying to figure out why a dealership would be interested in what you have to offer and go in and ask them. Your initial contact should always be in person, never by email, when offering a service to a local prospect. Some dealerships do utilize their shop, tools and employees to do what you are doing but many do not. It doesn't matter why, all that matters is that if they don't there is an opportunity for you to get your foot in the door.

If like me, you only get business from one out of ten prospective customers you talk to, and that is on a good day, why not get the first nine out of the way right now? I used to drive by dealerships and prospective fleet accounts all the time thinking it was not the right time of the day, not the right day of the week, I wasn't mentally prepared, I had already had too much rejection that day, etc., but it finally dawned on me that while rejection was always possible if I stopped, rejection was absolutely certain if I didn't stop. The worst thing that can happen is that someone tells you they are not interested and even that is not all bad. Every rejection can be a positive learning experience! If you know you are going to get rejected nine times out of ten, get the first nine out of the way as fast as you can so you can get your first sale. Don't get discouraged, this is something every sales rep experiences, no matter how good they are or how long they have been selling.

I also used to be very selective about who I made sales calls to but someone very successful in this business helped me to understand that for every stop I made I drove by a hundred other potential customers. Businesses of any size are potential customers, not just the ones with huge lots full of cars, and the smaller ones are often easier to get. While I was making three or four sales calls a day, this guy was making dozens of sales calls, often picking up work from businesses I would never have even called on. Sales is a numbers game so the more calls you make the more customers you will get, and the more customers you get, the more confidence you will gain.

I still struggle with not taking rejection personally. I believe in what I sell and why I sell it so it feels very personal when someone tells me they are not interested in what I have to offer but I have learned that the best way to get over that feeling is to move on to the next prospect as soon as possible after a rejection. I've also learned that the person who rejects my service is not rejecting me. What ever the reason for their disinterest today may change tomorrow so I keep going back over and over again until they either change their mind or tell me to get lost, which rarely happens. I also ask why prospects are not interested in what I have to offer and what I could do to improve my offering and/or my sales technique. People love to give advice and will often tell you exactly what it is you need to do to get their business...but you have to ask.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are much better salesman than I am which is why I felt compelled to respond to you. If I was able to make it in this industry you can too! Just stay positive, keep asking questions, and above all get out there and make face to face contact with as many people as you possibly can. I don't have a lot of time to post on the forum but I would be happy to chat with you if you want to call with specific questions, as are the other members of our staff. It doesn't matter if you are a Delta Kits customer or not, we would like to see you succeed!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I still get car park block, where i set out to do a new sales call pull up in the parking lot and have to talk myself into going in and talking to a new customer, after 26 years in this trade and 42 in selling you would think it would not be a problem.

One major way I see WSR is we are not costing them money but saving them money. Plus the new customer gets a chance to get served by one of the nicest guys in the business, me.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Brent Deines wrote:
cvilleHR wrote:
...I haven't even attempted contacting the new car dealers in my area beyond sending an email. I guess I should, but aggressive solicitation doesn't come naturally to me. Especially considering that I look a lot younger than I am, I don't think I'd be met with much success if I walk into a new dealership asking to speak with a manager. I just can't convince myself that they'd be interested. Am I wrong here? I suppose so...

...I have the same problem with service departments that I do with dealerships. I can't see why a new car dealer would go for something like that, when they already have a whole shop at their disposal. Not saying it would look as good as my job, but it's hard to convince people around here that they aren't professionals at everything they do...

...I think what I lack most is the self confidence to aggressively solicitate. Quite the problem in a business like this, huh? But I guess that if you guys are successful with dealers and shops, there's no reason I can't be...
cvilleHR, I've started to reply to you several times but deleted my posts each time because there is just so much to say but the above comments from your last post are are pretty telling. Lack of confidence will make it impossible to succeed at this or any other business if you are responsible for sales and marketing so you are going to have to get past that. Aggressive solicitation does not come natural to many of us but it can be learned and with practice it does become much easier. I made my first cold call about 30 years ago and I thought I was going to throw up and if you got business out of one of the four dealerships you visited you are doing far better than I did. I feel pretty lucky if I get business from one out of every ten prospective customers! I was a punk kid in my twenties with no sales experience and like a dog smells fear, the prospects I called on could spot my inexperience the moment I walked through the door. Still, I kept walking through doors.

So, how do you build your confidence? First, ask yourself why you got into this business. If you are like me, you believe the service you offer has value and you already know others are making a good living at it, so obviously there is a demand. Now stop trying to figure out why a dealership would be interested in what you have to offer and go in and ask them. Your initial contact should always be in person, never by email, when offering a service to a local prospect. Some dealerships do utilize their shop, tools and employees to do what you are doing but many do not. It doesn't matter why, all that matters is that if they don't there is an opportunity for you to get your foot in the door.

If like me, you only get business from one out of ten prospective customers you talk to, and that is on a good day, why not get the first nine out of the way right now? I used to drive by dealerships and prospective fleet accounts all the time thinking it was not the right time of the day, not the right day of the week, I wasn't mentally prepared, I had already had too much rejection that day, etc., but it finally dawned on me that while rejection was always possible if I stopped, rejection was absolutely certain if I didn't stop. The worst thing that can happen is that someone tells you they are not interested and even that is not all bad. Every rejection can be a positive learning experience! If you know you are going to get rejected nine times out of ten, get the first nine out of the way as fast as you can so you can get your first sale. Don't get discouraged, this is something every sales rep experiences, no matter how good they are or how long they have been selling.

I also used to be very selective about who I made sales calls to but someone very successful in this business helped me to understand that for every stop I made I drove by a hundred other potential customers. Businesses of any size are potential customers, not just the ones with huge lots full of cars, and the smaller ones are often easier to get. While I was making three or four sales calls a day, this guy was making dozens of sales calls, often picking up work from businesses I would never have even called on. Sales is a numbers game so the more calls you make the more customers you will get, and the more customers you get, the more confidence you will gain.

I still struggle with not taking rejection personally. I believe in what I sell and why I sell it so it feels very personal when someone tells me they are not interested in what I have to offer but I have learned that the best way to get over that feeling is to move on to the next prospect as soon as possible after a rejection. I've also learned that the person who rejects my service is not rejecting me. What ever the reason for their disinterest today may change tomorrow so I keep going back over and over again until they either change their mind or tell me to get lost, which rarely happens. I also ask why prospects are not interested in what I have to offer and what I could do to improve my offering and/or my sales technique. People love to give advice and will often tell you exactly what it is you need to do to get their business...but you have to ask.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are much better salesman than I am which is why I felt compelled to respond to you. If I was able to make it in this industry you can too! Just stay positive, keep asking questions, and above all get out there and make face to face contact with as many people as you possibly can. I don't have a lot of time to post on the forum but I would be happy to chat with you if you want to call with specific questions, as are the other members of our staff. It doesn't matter if you are a Delta Kits customer or not, we would like to see you succeed!
Ive been in sales for about 20 years. Those are the two most basic ingredients you need to do well. The more people you meet, the more questions you ask, the more you learn - the more success you'll have.

I agree with Brent. Id like to see everyone do well in this business. Just not in my market :)

Here's a real example of turning rejection into a positive. This happened to me a month ago. - -- I have a Honda dealer that doesn't give me many cars. When I approached him a year ago about HLR, he never heard of anyone doing that. I left him a brochure and he called me back the next day. Had a few questions but ultimately said that he wanted to give me a try. Had a decent relationship over that year. Then this crazy winter comes upon us and working at dealers that dont have indoor space for us sort of got looked over. Well, just a few. This was one of them. I went there to look for cars and walked in to the show room. He says I don't need you anymore, I have someone else doing HLR now because you haven't been around. I apologized and went about my way. As I was driving I had to remember that when I started this business, 9 out of 10 dealers never heard of doing HLR. Now they do. And he was so mad that I wasn't coming around that he went to find someone else to do it. Guess what....I took that as compliment that he had to find someone else because I wast around. I created a market. The way I look at it, that was the best customer I ever lost.

Stay positive. Stay focused. Stay grounded. You'll do great.
Paul Weinstein
cvilleHR

Post by cvilleHR »

I would like to thank all of you for all of your help and support. I have finally got a few small, very "country" dealerships that I am working with, and I just put in my two weeks notice at the Bux today. God, that's a liberating feeling. I make more money in an hour doing HR than I do all day at Starbucks.

Monday is going to be my day to go talk to the big dealerships. Carmax is at the top of my list; I know a lot of people on here have had trouble with them, but I figure that you don't know if you don't try.

When you guys approach big dealerships, how do you do it? Ask to speak to a manager, show some promotional material, talk up the service? Do you usually call ahead, or just show up and hope to get lucky?

I'm also planning on calling around to everyone that has fleet vehicles. That means plumbers, maid services, you name it. Again, should I just call and ask to speak to the manager, say "Hey, this is who I am, what I do, and can I come talk to you about it?", or is there a better way to approach it? My goal is 18 cars per week. I'm still only charging $30 per car (That's bulk pricing for high volume clients), mostly because no one seems to be willing to pay more than that. Maybe that will change with some of the bigger dealerships. How much do you charge, say, a Honda dealership that does mostly new vehicles? Really, if I can make $500 a week on this, I'll be ecstatic. I'm a college student. That'll be pretty damn good.

I also set my cousin up in another city about an hour away from here. I'm providing training, the business name and website, and materials. In exchange, I get 30% of the profit. We got him set up with his first small dealership yesterday, and we're both happy and excited about the potential for growth. Now I just need to get good at it.

Thanks again for all of the help and support. I'm finally starting to see the light; now I just need to figure out how to expand. Rapidly.

-CvilleHR
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

cvilleHR wrote:I would like to thank all of you for all of your help and support. I have finally got a few small, very "country" dealerships that I am working with, and I just put in my two weeks notice at the Bux today. God, that's a liberating feeling. I make more money in an hour doing HR than I do all day at Starbucks.

Monday is going to be my day to go talk to the big dealerships. Carmax is at the top of my list; I know a lot of people on here have had trouble with them, but I figure that you don't know if you don't try.

When you guys approach big dealerships, how do you do it? Ask to speak to a manager, show some promotional material, talk up the service? Do you usually call ahead, or just show up and hope to get lucky?

I'm also planning on calling around to everyone that has fleet vehicles. That means plumbers, maid services, you name it. Again, should I just call and ask to speak to the manager, say "Hey, this is who I am, what I do, and can I come talk to you about it?", or is there a better way to approach it? My goal is 18 cars per week. I'm still only charging $30 per car (That's bulk pricing for high volume clients), mostly because no one seems to be willing to pay more than that. Maybe that will change with some of the bigger dealerships. How much do you charge, say, a Honda dealership that does mostly new vehicles? Really, if I can make $500 a week on this, I'll be ecstatic. I'm a college student. That'll be pretty damn good.

I also set my cousin up in another city about an hour away from here. I'm providing training, the business name and website, and materials. In exchange, I get 30% of the profit. We got him set up with his first small dealership yesterday, and we're both happy and excited about the potential for growth. Now I just need to get good at it.

Thanks again for all of the help and support. I'm finally starting to see the light; now I just need to figure out how to expand. Rapidly.

-CvilleHR
When you call on dealers, talk with the used car manager. Tell him what you do and a quick 20 second version of what you do. You HAVE to drill it home that your not in the back parking lot with wax and a cloth and yo have a VERY short window to do it. I call it resurface (stripping the old clear off), refinish (refinish the lens back to clarity) and reseal (seeal the lens with a hard coat that lasts for years that way your customers wont be call ing you a couple of weeks after they bought the car screaming that the headlights have turned colors because the bumper guy just buffed the crap out of them). I tell than that ist a true restoration with several steps of sanding. When you have tier attention, offer to walk their lit and see if you can find a few cars. DONT DO FREE CARS!! If he has one that he wants a "trail" (which means free in the car world) do the car with the understanding that if he likes the work, you invoice him, if he doesn't, you walk away as friends. I do this for every dealer and Ive never had one go south on me. It works very well. Just pick out the nastiest car on the lot and run with it. Make sure he sees the car first and after.

Also, build your portfolio. Practice different shots of headlights. Take pics of EVERY car you do. You cant have enough "proof of your work". Hope you have a good smart phone. If yo want more help, id be glad to talk you though some of it.
Paul Weinstein
cvilleHR

Post by cvilleHR »

Oldblue,

Thanks again for your advice. I hadn't considered the whole 'no free demo' thing, but you're right. That would definitely weed out people just looking for a free job and nothing else.

My biggest hurdle right now is breaking into the bigger dealerships. I have a really good relationship with some of the mom and pop dealerships around here, but I need to get places like Carmax and the other big dealerships on board. Is there anything that I should be doing differently with these dealers, or is it pretty much the same process? Something along the lines of:

Hi, could I speak to the used car sales manager?
Hi Mr. Manager, my name is __________________, and I'm here with _________________________.I'd like to talk to you for a minute about our 3 step headlight restoration process. We start by refinishing the lens with a very thorough sanding process. We then refinish the lens, and we finish up by resealing with a new UV protective layer. If it's alright with you, I'd like to walk the lot together, and we can pick out a car so that I can show you what a huge improvement it makes. No commitment, if you aren't 100% satisfied, it's free.

Sorry to be so thorough; you have to understand, things like this make me very uncomfortable, and planning it out makes it a little easier.

Thanks!
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

To much info and you'll never get the UCM out on the lot to look at headlights. Getting them to walk the lot with you would be ideal but 99% of them are too lazy to do that.

First off, plan your day ahead of time. Know what area you'll be in the next day. The night before, make calls to the dealers. Ask the person who answers the phone who the UCM is and what time he'll be in tomorrow. If he wont be in, then ask for his schedule. Pretend your a customer and you want to come in and see him/her. This makes your next day more productive because you're not stopping at dealers that don't have a UCM in the store for the day. More importantly, you walk in the door and ask to see "Bill Smith" and you look like you know what you want. When your walking in asking who the UCM is, you look like a salesman. They get a ton of people walking in the door every day just like you. Be different.

"HI Bill, My Name is Paul with SBS. We do headlight restoration. I know we dont service your cars and wanted to know what you do with cars that have foggy headlights on your lot?" is a much better way to start.

"We start by resurfacing the lens taking out most scratches and road rash nicks (stripping the old clear off), refinishing the lens back to crystal clarity and we reseal them so they stay clear for years (that way your customers wont be call ing you a couple of weeks after they bought the car screaming that the headlights have turned colors). Its a multi step sanding process that usually takes about 45 minutes per car. Can I walk your lot to see if you have any cars that need attention?"

Key words here that we use are resurface, refinish & reseal. It seems like most people understand that. Also, when your talking to a dealer, always use the term "need attention". Cars that "need service" sound like they need expensive repair work.

They usually get into price. Tell them you do stores all over the area. Many (at least in my area) dont know what the process is and ask questions. They are naturaly curious.

I don't know what area you're in nor do I know what your competition is, so i cant tell you how to handle objections. This is just a good solid way to start the selling process that has worked very well for me and my sales rep. I can tell you we have 67 accounts.
Hi Mr. Manager, my name is __________________, and I'm here with _________________________.I'd like to talk to you for a minute about our 3 step headlight restoration process. We start by refinishing the lens with a very thorough sanding process. We then refinish the lens, and we finish up by resealing with a new UV protective layer. If it's alright with you, I'd like to walk the lot together, and we can pick out a car so that I can show you what a huge improvement it makes. No commitment, if you aren't 100% satisfied, it's free.
As a salesman of 20+ years, I would strongly advise you not to use any part of this

Ill send you a link to something that you should read via PM.
Paul Weinstein