Start Up Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
ilikeburgers
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Start Up Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Post by ilikeburgers »

So on a recent road trip I picke up a small bullseye chip in my windshield. I thought "I'll get that handled as soon as I get back so it doesn't crack" But while driving through the town I was visiting I saw fro the first time ever a guy with two tents set up in a grocery store parking lot doing chip repair right there. I had it done and it's pretty good- as good as the others I've had done at glass shops.
I started talking to him and became very interested in starting this myself. Now I've been in the auto business for over 15 years as a dealership parts person or a pinstripe/accesssories installer so I am plenty familar and comfortable with cars.
My question is this; Why have I not seen this before? Ever?!
Thoughts?
I'm in a ciy/town with about 250,000 people so the potential is there but we can get some harsh winters so I expect that

Thanks!!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Start Up Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Post by Brent Deines »

Tents are kind of a regional thing. They are everywhere on the west coast but not so big on the east coast. In between it depends on the state. Not so different than drive through coffee stands in that way. In the west you can't drive more than a mile or two without hitting a coffee stand but in the east they can be difficult to find.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ilikeburgers

Post by ilikeburgers »

Brent Deines wrote:Tents are kind of a regional thing. They are everywhere on the west coast but not so big on the east coast. In between it depends on the state. Not so different than drive through coffee stands in that way. In the west you can't drive more than a mile or two without hitting a coffee stand but in the east they can be difficult to find.

Brent,
Thanks for the quick response. Interestingly enough those coffee hut things were everywhere when I was out of my area but few and far between here. Is the tent thing fairly new? I have been in contact with three city code folks to get an answe to this. It just seems like a great business but it sends a red flag up to me that I have never even seen anyone ATTEMT this. So to me it sounds either really new or not allowed/difficult to do in my location.
I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I invest in your training.
Also, when asking permission to set up in say a grocery store- who does your permission come from usually? The store manager? Corporate? The land "owner" if they lease?

Thanks!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I think tents got big on the west coast about 10 years ago, or at least that is when we really started hearing about them on a regular basis. When run properly I have seen them be quite lucrative and had I thought of it when I had my glass shop I would have put one up on the other end of town for sure.

Tents are not allowed in every city so you have to check your local regulations.

"...who does your permission come from usually? The store manager? Corporate? The land "owner" if they lease?" Could be any of these. Chain stores sometimes have corporate policies allowing or disallowing tents and sometimes it is up to the local manager so the local manager is typically a good place to start. It is not usually the owner of the land's decision unless they also own the store or the property is vacant, however if there is a store and a fast food joint sharing a parking lot there may also be an area that is still controlled by the owner that could be made available to you. Somewhat unusual but not unheard of.

Again, be sure to check your local land use regulations before you waste any time trying to track down the decision maker. I know people setup tents without doing so but nobody respects a business that does not abide by the law in my opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ilikeburgers

Post by ilikeburgers »

Thanks for the info. Next week I am going directly to the City business license division to get a solid answer on whether or not tents are allowed on private property with owner/decision maker permission. (Again, it just shocks me that this isn't being done here.)
As far as who to ask, thats helpful. As a former Cornwell dealer myself I'm used to legwork and the like.
My area has a ton of spots I think would work from fast food areas to the mall. I think multiple locations would work because my area built out and not up.

Also,
My area is pretty void of moisture and very dry. Is this a factor in mobile WSR?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I am a former MATCO dealer, so yeah, same process for finding out who makes the decisions and making friends with as many subordinates as possible along the way.

Dry is good. Just remember that even in dry climates people wash their cars, often just before they bring them to you thinking they are doing you a big favor. Moisture can stay in the damage longer than you might think so it's always best to check for moisture and remove as necessary.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ilikeburgers

Post by ilikeburgers »

Thanks for all the great info!
Will you be updating the monthly class schedule into 2015? I am personally ready to go now but by the time I get licenses, permission, equipment etc.. Summer is over.
A trip to Eugene is cheaper than a trip to SEMA ( My wife, wallet and I know... :lol: )
Thanks Again!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I here that! We typically update the training class schedule sometime in November for the following year but with a few exceptions we hold training classes on the third Friday of each month. If we do change a date it is because of a holiday or trade show conflict.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.