add on items

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

add on items

Post by GlassStarz »

There are a few thing that you may come across. One is Many BMW s you will come across the upper seal will be breaking apart. This is pretty easy to replace. Use a awl or small screwdriver to remove the old. Pull out the little metal strip clean area with alcohol. Pull off tape on new molding push down into slot. Super easy the molding can be bought from the dealer.
clearquest
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: add on items

Post by clearquest »

so this is an add on sale to a wsr customer? do you keep one in your inventory just in case a guy with a chip in his beemer needs one? what do you charge for this service? do tell
t4k

Post by t4k »

I would like to hear more too. Do you stock inventory for 3,5 and 7 series? Does the trim change with each model year change? How do you keep all these trim pieces in stock and not impact your cash flow? How many trim replacements do you perform per week?

I do a lot of headlight restoration for BMW customers and this is something I see frequently.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I schedule them for a time I'm going to be in the area. Buy the correct one at the dealer all are different usually about 20 to 25 bucks I charge 145 same as the local GLASS guy gets in shop.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

wow, thats one heck of a markup on a $20 part and minimal labor.That wouldn't fly with the average customer in my area. I would be mire apt to tell my customer that he can buy that part from his dealer for 20 bucks and explain the simple installation that he can do himself. Doing those as an add on would be so few and far between that I would just give my customer the do-it-yourself option as a way to build customer relations. Then if he asked me if would install it for him I would do so for a reasonable fee.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Well of course you would say something like that that your MO look to stir of course most of the folks in business no a drive across town to buy a part has value and why would you charge $75 for WR when you use less than $1 in materials? and of course anyone who has actually dealt with you average BMW customer knows they are big do it yourself guys lol. Try leaving the conversation to to adults learn something. And on that note next time someone calls for a repair just tell them to buy that diy kit from wallyworld. Find somewhere else to play this place is for Adults.

Back to the Adults the local GLASS guys here get up to 200 bucks. You do have to take care while pulling the pieces not to scratch anything and the old molding will leave a small strip of metal on the GLASS take your time removing it I can see forcing it could stress the glass. You are going to have a lot of the old one in little pieces so bring a dustbuster .The whole process takes about as long as a normal repair. I do maybe one a week but if I actively looked I think more are out there.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

Relax man, just saying it wouldnt work in my area. Maybe once a year here (if lucky) and probably not even that. And just because a person drives a bmw doesnt mean they arent cost concious or able to do things themself. I'm a firm believer in the huge advantages to building strong customer relations. And the sterotype of bmw owners being a different type of person isnt usually true. Some are truely wealthy and some it's an image thing but most still want to save money. In fact, I have found that wealthy people can be some of the most cost concious people out there. Most didnt get there by being frivolous. I live in a retirement area with lots of wealthy people who drive expensive cars but even with that being the case I dont get enough bmw's through my shop to have that be a valuable add on for me. And the nearest bmw dealer is 60 miles away. If its a big deal for you, congratulations that's great, but wouldn't fly for me. And having an opinion that varies from yours doesnt make you an adult and me a child. Get over yourself.
salvatoreali

Post by salvatoreali »

Has anyone ever thought about or do they currently use, an Ozonator?
They eliminate tobacco smoke and dog or cat or for that matter any offensive odors from a car using a special ozone generator that you stick inside the vehicle and run for ten to 30 minutes. No chemicals and a few car dealers have the service provided now but many do not.
I am thinking you could charge $25-50 dollars for the service to the public. $25 to a dealer?
Any thoughts or comments?
screenman

Post by screenman »

I tried quite a few different techniques and machines from about 1995 to 2006, I felt we had too many odors returning for my liking. I would rather sell another WSR, which is what my business is about. Not saying you cannot earn a few $ just that it is not for me.

I do offer PDR services as an add on to WSR, even then WSR is a faster earner for $ per hour, which of course very important.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I used to have an ozonator and we used to sell fog machines and chemicals for odor removal. I think the fogger was more effective for odor removal if the right chemical is used.

Fogger Pros:

It only takes a few seconds to shoot a car, then you just shut the door and let it sit for an hour before airing out.
You can do dozens of cars at one time.
Customers are happy with the results.
Low cost.
Chemicals actually permeate upholstery and headliners.

Fogger Cons:

Chemicals can be expensive and proper precautions must be taken when using them.
Low cost. Once a dealer, auction yard, government agency or fleet manager finds out how inexpensive they are and how easy they are to use they buy their own.

Ozonator Pros:

No chemicals to buy.
Low cost.
Theoretically a more permanent solution although in my experience just cleaning the air does not pull odors from upholstry and headliners.
Customers happy with the results? Mine was for personal use so I don't have any customer feedback to pull from.

Ozonator Cons:

In my experience it takes 60 minutes+ to be effective and for heavy odors 24 hours+. No practical for a mobile technician in my opinion.
You can only do one car at a time.
Low cost. Just as with foggers, once your big customers know how inexpensive and easy to use they are they may buy one of their own.

If you decide to try an ozone generator you might want to look into hydroxyl generators with ozone. Pro Restore makes a decent fogger and chemicals, very similar to the model we used to sell. One other option to consider is Clorine Dioxide packets. I think Odorxit makes packets, sprays and concentrates of ClO2. These to have their pros and cons.

You might also have a look at jondon.com. Not so much about cars, but they have a lot of good info about professional odor removal that may help you decide.

I think car lots and auction yards are the primary targets for an automobile odor removal service. We did not find it easy to sell the service to retail customers and the foggers were never a huge seller for us. However, that was years ago so I'm not suggesting it is not a good add-on service, just providing a little input from my personal experience.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.