Cracked windshield

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
eydun
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Cracked windshield

Post by eydun »

Hello.

I just noticed a crack in the front-windshield of my new Peugeut 5008 :-( I have not noticed that it has been hit by a stone or anything else while driving. I guess it has cracked when the car was parked outside during the (cold) night.

Image.

1) What do you think can be the cause of this cracked?

2) Can it be repeared, or does it has to be replaced?

Thanks.
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Cracked windshield

Post by ghost rider »

It's impossible to tell from a photo if the crack is in the inner or outer layer. If it is in the outer layer, it could be repairable. If you are not finding an impact point, it could be a stress break which could make it harder to repair. You mentioned that the car is new. If it still under warranty and you cannot find an impact point, the dealer may replace the windshield because of a stress break. Only the dealer can make that decision. If you give your location, maybe someone will offer to look at it.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

The direction of the break is 90 degrees to the windshield edge which can be a possible indication of a stress crack. If it is an impact break, the impact point will be close to the edge of the windshield ( could be in the obscuration band). The impact point may only be the size of a pin head, recommend you inspect with a magnifying glass to check for impact before you return to the dealer because that is what they will do.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Certainly wants replacing as soon as possible.