Training method

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Glass_Like_New
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Training method

Post by Glass_Like_New »

I now have the most basic mobile kit. So far I have been watching youtube videos on how to do repairs. How did you all get trained? Advice/suggestions? Any good resource?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Training method

Post by screenman »

0ne on one over the shoulder 27 years ago this year, there is no substitute for quality personal training. Invest in your most important asset in business, which is you.

Somebody will come and prove me wrong but the chances of succeeding without proper training is a lot less than with, over here that is anyway.

It is not rocket science to learn, but it is suprising how easy it is to make a poorjob of a repair.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I tried on my own for about 4 months. I watched all the video' s on Youtube, then I traveled about 3k miles to attend a one day course. They fine tune what I had practiced. I should have attended the class when I started. The remainder of my training was trial and error as I gained experience. I am still learning after almost 6 years.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

It's like golf. It's much easier to learn correctly to begin with than try to break bad habits. I recommend getting your training from the mfg of your equipment or from an approved re-seller. Just because someone is willing to charge you for training does not mean they are qualified.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I took the DK training when I first started.
I did about 8 repairs that day, and I learned how to drill and pop a bullseye.
Drilling and popping bullseyes requires practice.
Its a good idea to get a practice windshield from an auto glass replacement shop.
If you don't get trained, you are learning by trial and error, and you are making those errors on your customers' windshields.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I am Delta certified and have been to their training .Delta is a great company and will do whatever they can to help you at a reasonable price if any ! I do not use their injector or bridge . I use GW and they want to charge you an arm and leg to certify you ! Just my 2 cents !
brent

Post by brent »

Getting the training with DK was the best decision I have ever made. Don't take my word for it, just attend the training and you will experience yourself. After the training you will be equipped with enough knowledge, skill and confident to carry out an actual repair. Although it's good to practice and get some experience first before servicing your customer. 8-)

Just imagine when you do sales..

"I'm a certified technician trained by the manufacturer" vs. "I'm very skillful individual and I have learned all of the best repair techniques from youtube."
Another newbie
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

screenman wrote:It is not rocket science to learn, but it is suprising how easy it is to make a poorjob of a repair.
I see a lot of bad repairs.
It looks like whoever did the repairs just drilled a big hole and then filled the big hole, and paid no attention to the crack legs, or whether any air was still left in the break before curing. Possibly , they are not using any kind of UV blocker, so the resin never gets a chance to make it all the way to the ends of the cracks.
screenman

Post by screenman »

They never dry out either.
Toby 1 kenobi

Post by Toby 1 kenobi »

How much does training cost in general? I'm guessing it varies from company to company. But how much is too much?