getting stared

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
EZglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

getting stared

Post by EZglass »

was looking to see about info on invoices and maybe contracts for dealerships and car washes? As well does anybody know where to get a list of insurance companies with phone numbers? I know most are on the card but not all of them!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! Mikew :mrgreen:
Mike W
candyman

Re: getting stared

Post by candyman »

Look for TPA's, Third Party Administrators. They control the majority of auto claims. Such as, Safelite, HSG, LYNX etc.... Unless you live in a large city, you will find very few referrals on a monthly basis. I don't know any car dealers that will sign a contract in my area. Generate your business from cold calls and work fleets. Trucking companies, Service trucks, Auto rentals, TV Cable companies, Telephone Utility trucks and the list goes on. Car Dealers normally will low ball you. Look for car auction locations in your area. If you do a tent in a high traffic area, you will need to relocate every few months when you notice a decline in repairs. Have a great day.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

We used to provide a list of insurance companies with their claims phone numbers and how much they paid but they change often enough that it became too time consuming trying to update it every week when for the most part insurance claims are filed through one of just a few major networks. If you already have the network phone numbers I suggest simply doing a google search for the claims department for those few companies that you end up billing direct. For instance, if your customer has Ameriprise Insurance through Costco you would google "ameriprise insurance auto glass claims" and one of the 1st organic results would be this page where you would find the phone number you need to report a claim. http://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home-ins ... nce-claim/

If you search for "safeco insurance auto glass claims" one of the first results you should find is this one, which not only gives you the phone number but shows that they currently file their claims through SGC. http://www.safeco.com/auto-claims

Now that almost everyone has a smart phone, I think I was the last holdout, it's super fast and easy to get the phone number you need, when you need it. As for how much they pay, it probably really doesn't matter if you are doing insurance business. Let me re-phrase that. It does matter how much they pay but if you are like most technicians who are going to file the claim regardless of whether the insurance company pays $45 or $75 for the repair, you don't really need to have that info until you are in the process of filing the claim, in which case all you need to do is ask. Much better to have precise information than rely on a list that is outdated the day after it is published and waste time calling phone numbers that have been changed.

That said, several of us have posted lists of insurance company phone numbers and pricing on this forum in the past so maybe someone else will be kind enough to publish an up to date list again. Until then, just google it!

If you need phone numbers for the networks (third party administrators or TPAs) let us know.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
EZglass

Post by EZglass »

Thank you both!

I'm in the DFW area and tons of dealerships I'm looking to get into them as well as car washes, oils lube shops and as well busy corners and the like!
the list really was something I have used working for other people. I'm going to be hiring soon and just wanted a easy list of insurance companies number.
But i will look on here for a list. and if not one here that's O.k.looking then up wont be that big of a deal just log numbers then and make my own list, maybe soon I can post it here for others.
Mike W
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

For a comprehensive list of the insurance networks, please search the form for the topic "NEED LIST OF NUMBERS FOR INSURANCE COMPANIES" or follow the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8452

Netcost and Gerber have merged and are the same company now. It's kind of odd because sometimes they call themselves Gerber, and sometimes it's Netcost. You can Google each company's name, call them, and they will send you their contracts which usually contain an "Agreed upon" price. Usually $50 for the first repair, $10 for each additional repair (up to a total of three repairs). SGC is usually more ($60-$70 for first repair), but they'll never send you a referral.

You can gain a lot of knowledge searching the forum, and the majority of your questions have been discussed and answered already.

Good luck,

Marty
EZglass

Post by EZglass »

EMCAutoGlass thank you so much .. yeah I fingered its all here its just sitting here going through it all that I need to do .. heck I'm sure I will find things I'm not even looking for! Thanks for your time and help!
Mike W
screenman

Post by screenman »

EZ, what kit are you using and did Delta train you?
EZglass

Post by EZglass »

screenman,
I ordered all tool's and resins from delta kits except the Dremel and glass tabs, I make my own tabs. I'm using the B300 Bridge with I-100 Spring Injector.. And my training 4 years ago was by a shop owner trained by delta. So i have been trained deltas way! But me and my business partner are hoping to attend delta training this year and as well seek out other training and certifications!
Mike W
screenman

Post by screenman »

Got you, why make your own tabs, there are so inexpensive. Also remember not all films are the same, make sure your lets the correct UV through, some film has UV barriers in which will slow curing.

Some I learned years ago, speculate to accumulate. Also spend more time selling than you do repairing for the fist couple of years.

Get that training, if your teacher had any bad habits then you may have them as well.
EZglass

Post by EZglass »

I use the school dividers from Walmart . Avery makes then they are sorta thick and last a long time if kept clean but i cut Them(about 40 per sheet 8 sheet so 320ish tabs for 6 bucks) about the same size plus have the ability to make bigger ones for being able to catch a few surface chip next to a repaired fracture. or even for those big crescent moon fractures They work great I usually let my tabs sit a bit as I sale other cars and get back to them when there are no customers or when I know the car will be ready. working at dealerships you get time to do other things.
And working with the gentleman that trained me I honed my skills,slow and steady on chips of all sorts and long crack as well for almost 2 years. Then I changed jobs and started working at High volume dealerships seeing RO counts of 100 or more a day, do 12 to 18 sales a day. With quality repairs, becoming the 2nd best sales man in the company and the number 1 quality repairs tech with only 3 broken windshields in 2 years ( that suck really) and becoming the trainer on sales/repairs for the company.Trust me I'm not perfect or no bad A$$.And I'm not all about that anyway I just like doing my job and helping customers save the glass
Now I'm seeking my own company. I'm maybe a week or two away from opening per say. and the way I see it even if I only do 3 to 5 a day that's still better money than I was making working for the man! But I really hope to get a few dealerships and a few car washes and even lube and tune shops. and I started out at a gas station on a corner waving a sign and yelling.. so that's there too! With almost 4 year of experience I have filled a small pipe line of people so finding places to work with shouldn't be a problem! so hopefully soon you will see me in a class as to further my education on the repairs and any other thing i can learn. I'm looking at making a career out of this not a job!
Mike W