Help please.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
brctom1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Help please.

Post by brctom1 »

I have a small 1/4" stone chip in my windshield. I haven't done repair in many years and am diving back into the biz. What is the best way to make the repair? I think it is called "Angel Wing" chip. Should I drill and tap to make a small bullseye to contain the damage before making the repair. Thanks in advance!

Tom
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Help please.

Post by Brent Deines »

If you are using a Delta Kits system you should not need to drill or tap a bullseye. This is one of the simplest types of damage to repair and should come out very well, even if you have not practiced lately. If you are using a Delta Kits injector and would like assistance setting up your bridge properly please don't hesitate to call our toll free help line. We'll be happy to walk you through the entire process, including checking for moisture, dry out techniques, etc.

If you are not using a Delta Kits system, please tell us what you are using and users of that system will likely chime in with advice on what to do to get the best possible results.

I deleted your duplicate post. Better to stick with one thread.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
brctom1

Post by brctom1 »

Thanks Brent, I am using glass mechanix old GM 3000.
I attempted the repair and it looked good, but has since developed some air.
I will have to drill due to my previous repair attempt. Should I do the "Tap" and make a small bullseye?
I did a combination break (got both within a 48 hour period) and that repair is flawless.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

If all of the air pockets are connected and you can drill into one of those I probably wouldn't creating a small bullseye. If there is more than one air pocket and they are not connected, but creating a small bullseye would connect them, that would be a good option. I'm always hesitant to give too definitive of instructions on re-repairs without actually seeing the damage and probing a bit to see what is really going on and why it may have failed the 1st time.

Two things that come to mind that may have caused the failure are the presence of moisture in the damage or using excess heat prior to and/or during the repair process. Either of these can cause the damage to appear properly filled...temporarily.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
brctom1

Post by brctom1 »

I have a picture but can't post it for you to see.?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

You can send me the photos to post for you until you get your post count up to 10. I just emailed you.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Here is the photo you emailed me. Image
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
brctom1

Post by brctom1 »

Thanks for posting my photo Brent.
What's the verdict ?
Should I just drill and re-repair or should I "Tap" an make a bullseye ?

Thanks in advance from any of the experts...
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would clean the pit with a scribe, dry out and then fill, I would not drill that damage. I use Delta and have found that I do not drill as often as I did using other equipment.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

If you had not already attempted it once I would agree with screenman. Frankly it does not appear that there is any resin in it so I it should fill just fine, however if it has previously been attempted you will need to drill out the resin in the pit area. That should go without saying but thought it worth a mention in case others did not see your post about a previous attempt.

Sometimes photos are deceptive so I can't say for sure but it looks like there is still air space below the pit so as long as you drill into that air space you should be able to fill it from the original pit without having to drill a new hole or tapping a bullseye.

If you drilled originally and there is cured resin all the way into the air space you may need to drill (smallest bit available) into the air space on either side to get everything to fill properly but based purely on the photo I highly doubt that will be necessary. I would clean out the pit area using a carbide bur, drill slightly past the original resin depth and try to fill the entire air space from there.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.