the won and only dodge dakota BACKGLASS

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
sydfloyd44

Re: the won and only dodge dakota BACKGLASS

Post by sydfloyd44 »

I had a feeling this was going to get messy!!

Not necessary!!

My method of removal, "ripping it out" is one that was trained to myself and approximately 40 other installers in our company. The trainer was a person that I will not identify by name, but if you know anybody in this business, you would know him. When you pick up an AGRR magazine or Journal to learn a new replacement, he probably is the one writing it or has a hand in it. He also has a MAJOR part of writing the NGA Master Exam. Not to mention being called on as an expert witness on a regular basis for court cases. etc. etc.The way he knew about this specific install BEFORE the first vehicle was ever sold was because he spoke directly with Chrysler about it.

Now, before anyone starts spewing back at me.... Does this all make it right? Of course not. In my opinion, IT IS AN ACCEPTABLE METHOD OF REMOVAL IF DONE PROPERLY!

Many, including myself will look at removing the headliner and all of the interior trim potentially as bad of a removal technique because of the added risks of damages involved, but I am sure it works for you and again, another acceptable method of removal.

Last but not least. The notion that I am a "hack" is NOT acceptable and calling myself or ANYONE you do not know a hack is also unacceptable. The 3 or 4 rust jobs a week that I have to spend hours correcting are done by hacks. Just because someone doesn't use YOUR technique does not make them a bad installer. I DO NOT care how long you have been installing. It does not impress me. What would really impress me would be the stopping of the child like name calling around here. Doesn't do much for your cause of getting anyone to believe you are a professional. Professionals do not act like that.

If you have more negative connotations, please write them on a piece of paper on the desk next to you and leave them there.

Now, does anyone else have any other methods they use to remove these sliders?
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

sydfloyd44 wrote:Last but not least. The notion that I am a "hack" is NOT acceptable and calling myself or ANYONE you do not know a hack is also unacceptable. The 3 or 4 rust jobs a week that I have to spend hours correcting are done by hacks. Just because someone doesn't use YOUR technique does not make them a bad installer. I DO NOT care how long you have been installing. It does not impress me. What would really impress me would be the stopping of the child like name calling around here. Doesn't do much for your cause of getting anyone to believe you are a professional. Professionals do not act like that.

If you have more negative connotations, please write them on a piece of paper on the desk next to you and leave them there.

Now, does anyone else have any other methods they use to remove these sliders?
Couldn't have said it better...

Let's all keep this civil & professional.
Delta Kits, Inc.
bot

Post by bot »

nice glad you two came to a nice quick close on that one ...no comments on the off set blade ..really give it a shot infact i like doing these sliders clean and quick ..
Lee

Post by Lee »

How about a poll on this. If you had a Dakota pick up and wanted to R&R the back glass who would you take it to. A shop that can remove it without damage or a rip it out one?
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

How about any more tips on doing this tricky job rather than continuing the "I'm right and you're wrong".
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Boy, It's HOT in here.
bot

Post by bot »

ya this is a thread that could lean to heat ......but then again a point came up how about can this black glass be romoved and replaced......i think so .........no problem with the right tools;...........
bot

Post by bot »

sorry backglass ...
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

Okay fair enough. Apologies if I've offended anyone.

Aside from the recomondation I made earlier using the cold knife or Lever Knife and Ultrathin blades from the inside and if you are trying to remove and reinstall the back glass with out problems, say to install a slider, the BTB Tool with their Power Cold Knife Blades also works very well from the inside, about 10 minutes once access to the window is acheived. This is an easy tool to use, has multiple choices of blades for multiple configurations of glass. Little if no risk of paint damage.

Yes, removal of interior components are needed (you need access to bend the tabs back over) : Headliner; sun visors; overhead console if equiped; rear seat; rear seatbelts if equiped; quarter window halo's, total time for this procedure is about half hour to dissasemble and about the same to reassemble, and about half hour to 45 minutes for the removal and reinstallation of glass itself.
Lee

Post by Lee »

This can be removed or R&R'ed if you have the time to do it as you know. The problem is that the installers have been trained to do this job in a timley manor. THE people that trained them are interested in a fast turnaround on the job. They have no interest in R&R. When you are trained to do a shoddy job and are told it is common practice to do these this way the installers think this is the way to procede with this job. When do the installers stop and really think about doing a proper job. Just because someone told them to do it this way shouldn't the installer think about doing a proper install or just rip it out????????????????????