Moisture in headlight

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Hawaii Guy
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Moisture in headlight

Post by Hawaii Guy »

I can send before and after pictures of the old Ford H/L with moisture in it as well as the 2001 Chev. that took over 4 hours to complete the pair. I take before and after pictures of all the headlights.
As far as the Chevrolet. These were horrible and I had no idea it would take so long when I started but then some people say I am stubborn I think I just perservere. I really do not know what made them so bad but I think somewhere along the line someone may have put some kind of after market coating on them that was just a bear to remove. Here is how it went. I use the dvelup system, Carry a generator which ran out of gas (1 1/2 gal), Cleaned the headlights, scrubbed with the scour pad (burgundy) started sanding with 320 grit. This was not very effective but was progressing slowly, after 2 hrs. I was out of gas and so was my generator. I told the customer I had to come back in a couple days, Got some 220 grit sandpaper, and after scrubbing with a Green scour pad went at it again. I wish I would have gotten some 180 grit sandpaper but the 220 was working better than the 320 grit, when I could see the lens crud was removed I then stared my sanding progression to 320,600,1000,2000, then finished with the coating (The 220 was by hand, the rest was power), A little over 2 hrs. later I was just finishing up when the customer came out of his house and was just about to tell me that I had worked too long and too hard on this job when he stopped dead in his tracks and I got the "WOW, I can't believe it". I charged the quoted price. The guy was so happy because before he would not even go out at night.
As far as the moisture goes (to get back on subject) There is a saying on the W/S repair site "When in doubt, Dry it out", but remember that you will need to find where the moisture came from. Oh yeah, the old Ford was at least 17 or 18 years old so I am only guessing that is not as old as Brent. (How is that for covering my tracks) ;) Come on over Brent
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Nice cover! I haven't run across anything like that yet, but I have heard similar stories a couple of times now. You may have lost money on the job but will probably get more than enough referrals to make up for it.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

Hawaii Guy

What model Chev. was it by chance? Impalla..? I had one also that took 3hr. and no one would believe me.

It was worth the time to me, I have the account for life now.

You have pics to show?
Hawaii Guy

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Yep, It was a Chevy Impala. You were quicker than me (only 3 hrs.) I do have pictures both before and after, let me know if you want to see them, I'll be happy to email them.
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

Use those pictures as your selling point on what you can do, and you will get lots of customers.
It was just curiosity thinking it was the Impala.

I cheated, I used a Jepson grinder / polisher for jobs like that one and starting with a 230 grit also.

You can pull my past posts and it will say what I went though also. Good part is I won the battle also. Cuttos to both of us.
adam@gtglass

Post by adam@gtglass »

I'd like to see some pictures of that Chevy. Maybe they can be posted on this thread??? Brent?
Adam D. Duthie
Glass Technology, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

They can be posted as long as they are the right size and type of file. Hawaii Guy can contact me if he wants them posted before he gets his 10 posts on the board.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Hawaii Guy

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Here are the pictures of the Impala that took nearly 4 1/2 hrs. to complete. This was not a moisture problem but may have been due to a coating that someone may have put on it such as a varnish. I was unable to post before and after for both headlights but will send them through regular e-mail if anyone wants them.
Attachments
notice the thick brown color
notice the thick brown color
IMG_0655.JPG (15.47 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Never give up
Never give up
IMG_0673.JPG (15.02 KiB) Viewed 548 times
adam@gtglass

Post by adam@gtglass »

Nice work.

I love seeing the really dynamically different before/after shots. It really shows what can be done in the way of restoration!

Sounds like that was a bit time consuming though--but happy customers are always a plus!
Adam D. Duthie
Glass Technology, Inc.
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

Hawaii Guy
I had the same thought when I did my Chev Impala, but know one would believe me when I said it acted like they have been coated over the top and played Hell removing the sealer.

Did it seem like it was like a silicon sealer to you? I went through 10 - 15 230 discs just to remove the sealer.

Great job. Kudo's to you.