Supplier Recommendations?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
harrellbenjamin

Re: Supplier Recommendations?

Post by harrellbenjamin »

All you need is a 3" -3M interface pad and you can use the 3" with no problem............
wdoctor

Post by wdoctor »

mrchip;32076 wrote:a dollar a disc is pretty expensive....you can buy a box of 50 3" hook and loop for 14.95....shipping is 5.99 no matter how big your order,,so if you buy 4 or 5 different grits its not so bad ..in fact several times a year they run a 5% discount so my shipping is free.[url]http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com...check[/url] it out..as far as sanders and polishers I use a jepson because it is a variable speed drill..whatever you use make sure it is a true variable speed product
You use the orange "INDASA" discs? Have you ever tried the "MIRKA" brand? In the lower grits they are only $13.95.

Also, how many discs of each grit do you usually go through for each set? I usually use two or three of my coarsest grit per set-and that's with stretching their use as much as possible. Is that normal? They seem to wear out very easily. Maybe it's the type of paper I'm getting.
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

wdoctor...indasa240grit is red...i use mirka 320,600,1200,,,2000 indasa...i only use 1 disc of each per set...are you sanding at a slower speed?..you are burning way too much sanding discs...i buy from onlineindustrial supply..sometimes i can get 2 sets out of discs if h/l aren't real bad...are you using interface pad?
wdoctor

Post by wdoctor »

I have a feeling it's the discs that I use that wear down so fast. Yes I do use an interface pad with my Metabo. I'm wondering what speed most of you use with this tool. I tried a little faster with the one I did today and it seemed better, but still took 2 - 320 discs. I'm pretty much out now so I'm going to order from "online industrial".
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

your disc is not wearing out but getting clogged.All you have to do is get a microfibre towel that is used for detail and waxing cars.They are sold pacs of 10 for 6.00 at walmart.Hold the towel over your sand paper and run the sander for a few secounds and the residue will be in the towel leaving you a cleaned disc.
freightshaker
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by freightshaker »

Are you guys wet-sanding with these discs? I do and I have a problem with them coming loose from their backing before they're worn out.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

good thought ben..I will try that ..I have been using an oversized toothbrush ..comes off real fast ..and yes freightshaker we wet sand..I sand at a lower speed..are you pressing down too hard?..or too much water?..wdoctor the adress is http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Have you tries IPS ??

[quote="jayjacque"]I'm trying to find out some of these same questions. I just bought a 18v. cordless drill, but I'm taking it back cuz I thought it had lithium batteries, but it doesn't. So now I'm back to ordering a Metabo, but I still need all the sanding stuff[/quote]
t4k

Post by t4k »

I called IPS once and the guy I talked to would not talk to me about anything over the phone. I had to go to Florida for a class and sign up to use his products. No thanks!! Develup has great results with no stupid tax!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Delta Kits now sells headlight restoration supplies, including the Metabo sanders. Pricing is a huge issue with the Metabo but we try to be competitive and give you the one stop advantage.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.