Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
SMITHY
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post by SMITHY »

t4k wrote:I got a call several years ago for a quote on a woman's kitchen window.
LOL!! :D
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

DryStar wrote:Smithy,

I use to get paid on replacement referrals from shops not so long ago but not so much anymore. Most shops will have a WSR kit and do the repair themselves (or sell the replacement). I still refer replacements to a few select chosen shops but now hold them to a barter system. I refer the customer, then do a follow up call to make sure said shop provided a quality service and document it. If I ever require a windshield or other service they've always worked with me. I've had a few that didn't but that's business.
Interesting. Well the one guy I am referring to, told me to bring him some cards and that he knows a ton of people in the area, Fleet Managers and such and that he will refer me to them as well. The other guy after two referrals, will not even respond to my calls. So the one guy who seems cool, at least on the phone, got the other six referrals. At the rate I am giving him referrals, I don't think him paying me $10 per referral is out of line to ask for. But just trying to track it is the nightmare....
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

Too complicated! Just go out and find more WSR jobs on your own..... That's my two cents.
Paul R.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

I just found a couple replacement techs; one in particular that I am anxious to see how things play out. I get far too many requests for replacement. I have to atleast attempt to take advantage of the numerous opportunities being offered. Some of the most successful companies in existence started from something totally different than they originally intended.

In my opinion we all must remember we are in business to satisfy a customers wants and needs. Obviously it depends on how many times you are getting these requests but in my case it is too many times to ignore.
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

I get a fair number of similar requests and like many technicians I've tried to establish reciprocal agreements with replacement shops. One of the shops worked out for a short time but in the end I've found that focusing my efforts on finding customers who need WSR works out better for me than anything else.
Paul R.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Paul I agree with you.Waisted energy that can be spent doing what I do best.I get a boat full of calls as well but a lot that is just people looking for the lowest price.I just dont think it is worth the head ache that you can have from it for the little bit of bird dog fee.Most glass shops do repairs now in this economy.
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

ShawnWSR wrote:I just found a couple replacement techs; one in particular that I am anxious to see how things play out. I get far too many requests for replacement. I have to atleast attempt to take advantage of the numerous opportunities being offered. Some of the most successful companies in existence started from something totally different than they originally intended.

In my opinion we all must remember we are in business to satisfy a customers wants and needs. Obviously it depends on how many times you are getting these requests but in my case it is too many times to ignore.
That is exactly how I feel. I am like man, perhaps I should have learned to do replacments over repair!! Or maybe do both. But yeah all the calls are definately making me think. But then, more equipment to buy......Plus I would have to learn how to do it.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

I have a small local independent replacement shop that gives me "wholesale" pricing because of the volume of replacements that I sell. I add $30 to his quote and about once a week I stop by and collect my earnings in cash for the 2 or 3 phone calls it took to book each appointment. He also refers his repairs to me for free (at least the mobile ones).

Jere Ellis
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

I also work with a local shop that sends me referrals every now and then. I, too, get a lot of calls each week for replacements. Often Harmon or Gerber calls me with what they think are repair referrals and after talking with the insured I find out they really need a replacement and I have to refer them back to Harmon or Gerber. My point about not putting too much time into this and rather, pursuing more windshield repair businesses is this: I decided I wanted to do WSR, not replacement. All of my efforts since have been in finding as much WSR business as I can. I can't second guess myself when replacement calls come in, wishing I had gone into replacement instead of repair. There's no end to where that could lead. Someone might show up with a scratch and then I'd wish I had gone into scratch and dent repair, or headlight repair, or..... In the end, I try to explore as many avenues for WSR as I can and I try to keep an open mind in discovering new ones. Sure you can add on services like headlight repair, etc., but eventually you have to decide what it is you want to do and stick with it.
Paul R.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

Paul I do agree with not getting distracted from our main business. I also do see how your business strategy and the available opportunities to work with the right replacement techs could make the difference in it being profitable. I just see based upon my numbers that I estimate 20 replacement jobs a week easily and that makes it worth the hassle.