Infinity Results - Start to finish

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
pommy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Infinity Results - Start to finish

Post by pommy »

I use Delta's orange pads for polishing - but not the discs as I like to wet sand too.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

Who makes the right angle cordless? Is that orital ot rotery? I know the AC Delco it rotory, Can you post the make and model or the Right angle cordless? I can search it out that way as to posting the www. address. That is why it got deleted..
How long the the batteries last in use?
I am using the Dewalt 18 v right angle now, But would like to downsize if the power it there.. I personaly like cordless as to corded.But I do carry a Honda 1000w for my mobile power.
Just Chippen Away
pommy

Post by pommy »

Sure it's...

Sealey Cordless Lithium-ion 75mm Polisher 12V (Sealey CP4005)

From what I can make out, it is rotary too - being that it is listed as a polisher?

I just thought you may like it as its the same "style" but cordless.

And thanks for the images Korey! (and the kind words in your PM - glad you like my site!)

Am actually making another one this week from scratch, a bit more interactive.
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

I like the right angle unit, to bad it is not sold in the states. also you have to buy the battery's separate and charger. I have not even seen any other brands in the states sold being that small and with the RPMs....
The AC Delco does look good also...

I guess I have done an oversight on the original posting its self, but you did steer my attention to the toys in use.... Your fault.

I guess when one has seen Lights being done start to finish for 8 or so yr's and they all BETTER turn out like the set you have shown, they all look the same...

Good job on the lights...
Just Chippen Away
pommy

Post by pommy »

Thanks buddy ;)

It's good to know what's out there, tool-wise.

Maybe others newer to the HLR, may learn something.

Have a great day!
newmexicosaint

Post by newmexicosaint »

Hi guys, I am new to the site and I have one question. Were the results of your HLR from using discs and watersanding? Or just the discs only? Thanks
pommy

Post by pommy »

I personally use a wet sand towards the end stages.

You'll notice that from 800/1000/1200/1500 (or whatever grits you use) discs, when you spray the lens with water, you can see though the lens and it's easier to see if you have missed any deep scratches.

;)
candyman

Post by candyman »

For the past few weeks I have tested a new sanding sequence and using the New Infiniti 4.1. I norrmally sand dry with the 180 or 320, 600, 1500 and then the 3000 polishing pad. I would not always get the same end result after using the Polishing pad. However, after applying the C2P or Infiniti 4.1 my results were almost always the same. I now use the 180 or 320 for at least 4 min, 500 for at least 4 min, 800 for at least 4 min, 1200, 1500 and finale the 3000 polishing pad.
I use a orbital Groit or Mateba sander at a speed setting of 5 and for polishing 6. I clean between each sanding disc with water and wipe dry. I use deltakits prep spray prior to starting sanding and after I finish polishing. I remove the tape from around the headlights and wipe the dust from around the lights and vehicle off. I then mix and apply the NEW Infinit 4.1 using a quarter section of a blue shop towel. I get the exact same results each time after using the Polishing pad. In all the cases, the customers thought I was finished with their headlights. The lens looked great. When I applied the Infiniti 4.1 coating the headlights looked even more amazing, WOW factor. The customers and I were very pleased with the new product. Its easy to mix. It has no shelf life as far as I know. The product doesnt situp or harden in the bottles if sealed properly. I tested this product about a year ago and my opinion of it was mixed at that time. I saw a need to keep the existing C2P. After buying and testing the New Infiniti 4.1 with the new sanding methods, Iam convinced this is one of the best headlight products on the market today. The more I use it, the better I prefer it over the C2P coating. This product has almost no odor. Its water based, but you do need gloves. It sits up fast and provides a harder coating. I will track all my test vehicles during the next few years to see how well it holds up to the extreme heat and humidity that we have in the south. If you have never used any of Deltakits HLR products, I recommend you check their new Product Infiniti 4.1 out. I've used this product on more than 15 vehicles now. Get the WOW Factor each and every time. This is not a hit or miss product. Have a good week. Candyman
mend master

Post by mend master »

Just completed the field test of the Infinity 4.1 as well and was pleased with the results. More importantly, the customer was pleased. I'm still partial to my current method, but there is a place in my bag of tricks for the 4.1 product.
A clarification if I might regarding sanding. When Candyman mentions 4 minutes, that is for the pair, not EACH lens. 2 minutes per lens doesn't sound like much, but when you are actually timing it and know that you have more jobs to do, it can seem like an eternity. I suspect many or most of us cut corners on the time. A kitchen timer ($2-3) could be a simple solution. The "ding" can be heard even over the equipment noise. Use it until you have the feel of 2 minutes or continue to use it to keep you consistent. Just an idea.

Also, the mistake I see a lot of folks, even "seasoned" guys make, is applying too much pressure when sanding. Let the machine and the abrasive disc do the work. All you are doing by bearing down is creating more heat, adding additional wear and tear to your equipment, ruining your intermediate/cushion pad, and destroying the abrasive disc. If you have an Impala or other hard coated lens, start by block sanding and get the original coating down to a manageable thickness where the D/A and the sanding disc don't have as much work to do. Once you get the initial coating and grunge off of a lens, you are simply doing a refining process as you move to finer and finer grits.

Pommy, thank you for posting your process and the finished results. Very nice work!
candyman

Post by candyman »

Thanks for that addtional information about the time. I agree with everything you said. When I have a hard lens I start with the 180 grit disc. That disc will remove paint from the lens as well. I have restored headlights that were painted black and they turned out looking almost new. It will also remove polyulthane as well and clear coat. Sometimes I may use several Disc to get through to the lens surface. Prior to getting the 180 disc, some times I would over heat the sander or clog it with dust using just the 320 disc. I even snapped the bolt on my metabo that holds the pads due to extreme heat trying to remove some of the coatings. The 180 disc resolved that problem for most hard to do headlights. I keep 2 orbtal sanders with me all the time. I prefer the groit because its easier to handle. The Metabo with the extention makes it easier to get into tight places on some vehicles.