Looking into add HR...

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Looking into add HR...

Post by candyman »

When I use the 180's , most of the time the center of the pad is good. I wear down the edges. I could get by with a few less, but I change them quickly because its quicker. I will try to send you a PM in a few minutes.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

t4k, I was also thinking of doing it mostly for car lots and such. I believe that retail can be profitable but, in retail you have to sell one customer for one vehicle(usually) and for wholesale you have to sell one customer for possibly an unlimited amount of vehicles. At least thats the way I see it...

Candyman and t4k, If you dont mind me askin, how did you market your HLR. I dont mean to steal your secrets, I just mean in general, was it word-of-mouth, did you run ads, door to door... you can email me if you would rather {email address removed}
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I got into it years ago because one of my dealerships asked if I knew how to do it. I was doing the basic sand and polish originally. My end product is much better now, thanks to Delta Kits. Then word of mouth got me into more dealerships and it has spread to the public for retail work. I do not market HLR, it is just an extra I do for my lots.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Ok thanks
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Auto Glass Rescue

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

glassdoctor did you ever get my PM?
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Auto Glass Rescue wrote:glassdoctor did you ever get my PM?

Yep, just replied...
Auto Glass Rescue

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

glassdoctor wrote:
Auto Glass Rescue wrote:glassdoctor did you ever get my PM?

Yep, just replied...

Great, email sent back.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I will try this again. I had a power blip and lost the last post. Tornado watch. Whe I first started I designed a business card and had Staples print about 250 for about $56. I taped a card on the drivers door window of every veicle that needed my service. I would spend about 30 minutes 2- 3 times per week at WalMart or Lowes Home Improvement. I listed the License plate # and the fee I would charge to do the HLR or WSR. Very few replied. I took out local radio ads at $5 per 1 min spot. I did my own ads at the station. I selected the hour and day of week. I started getting questions from listeners. They would call or stop me on the street. Again very few jobs. I visted several detail & tire shops. Their customers were spending thousands on tires, rims, paint jobs, adding DVD or CD players to old cars. Yet the vehicles looked bad due to their HLs. After several demonstrations and word of mouth I was getting calls almost daily from the detail shops. I started out charging $35 - $45 for HLR's just to get things going. The detail shops were charging $60 - $75 to Wash, Wax, and clean the carpets. They charged the customer about $60 for the HLR and paid me my fee up front. Repeat and referrals from the customers kept customers coming and continues today. MY mistake! Dont let the detail shops or auto lots know the name of your product or show them how to do it. They learn quickly that the middleman is not needed. Some of the detailers went to the car show in Vegas and purchased several products. The results are not the same and they rush the job. I will get a call from them to come fix a restoration that they did or to do a prefered customers vehicle. Radio is too expensives and fails to deliever the volume needed to cover the ad cost. Flyers will net you about 3- 5 % for every 250 you place on vehicles that need your service. I carry B-cards on me all the time. I will stop and place a card on a car that needs my service at the drop of a hat. Referrals and repeat customers are my bread and butter. Many wont accept my $5 finders fee for friends and relatives. So, I now give them a key chain, Tshirt or hat with my logo, or drop off a pizza just prior to the shops lunch breaks. Ink pens normally fell apart or was a over priced piece of junk. The customer will remember you for that gift error. I hope this answered some of your questions. Have a nice weekend. PS I added Textured plastic such as Faded Bumpers, Door Handles, Side Steps refurbishing and Waterspot removal to my arsenal and that is picking up after just 2 weeks. It seems to go hand -in - hand with HLR & WSR. I earned my investment back on both within the first week. I've had rain almost everyday this week.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

wow thats alot of info. Im definately feeling stronger about getting into HLR. It seems like everywhere you look you see faded headlights. I still have to do my thinking though, Im the type that thinks alot before I act. The oil is there but if you cant run the rig, you wont make a dime. lol Thanks Candyman
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
candyman

Post by candyman »

I spent several hours a day for months researching. I called people that were using the products. I scanded the parking lots and took inventory at different times of the day of how many vehicles needed WSR or HLR. I asked potental customers why they hadnt fixed their HL or WS. I narrowed my search down to about three suppliers. I chose Deltakits because I got answeres to my questions and they applied no pressure to buy. Brent and Korey appeared to be honest with their answers and felt like home folks when talking to them. I have no regrets with my choice. That was three years ago. Like I stated earlier. I was making money within the first few days with the HLR with no formal training and only the instruction sheet. There are things you need to know that arent in the instructions. You have to develope your own techniques and learn how to judge your sanding. You will learn by sight and feel when the lens is ready to be polished prior to applying the UV coating. Adding double tape to avoid scratching the bumper or body. Detaping your blue or green tape prior to applying. This will reduce the chances of pulling up the paint film on repainted bumpers or bodies. Wetting the tape prior to removal to help reduce the same. This is where your experience is developed. You do feel a little green at times when you make a mistake, like not Lifting off the lens prior to turning your sander off etc... For less than $500 you would be in business and could earn that back within 10- 12 HLR jobs. After that you are looking at about $4.70 for pads (normal car) and about $5 for Chemicals and prep-spray. Less than $10 per vehicle. Thats a realistic figure based on my use of the products. Now thats not including your gas, vehicle use, Business cards, cell ph, insurance etc... Have a good day. WE have a rainy Sunday morning