Starting new business, need insurance and llc info

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Other Business Insurance

Post by the big welshman »

Liability Insurance>> The Hartford Insurance 1- 866-467 8730 they will insure any size buisness large or small ????????????
lordstanley13

Post by lordstanley13 »

Yeah, but for how much? Will they beat RLI???? Anyone can say they will meet or beat
bobswsr

General Business Liability Insurance

Post by bobswsr »

Talking with RLI, they said that their liability did not cover damage, scratches, whatever to the customers vehicle.
Did I misunderstand or is other insurance required to cover oneself ????
Thanks for thhe help,

SoCal BOB 8-)
royalwindshield

Starting new business, need insurance and llc info

Post by royalwindshield »

Hello there,
I am a fulltime firefighter in Bossier City LA and currently starting a new repair business. I have been working with a tech in the area, (name withheld as not endorse any other business) and I need info on what type of insurance I need and am looking to get an LLC and also my state tax number. I have never ran my own business but most guys on the dept have their own side business. I am, however, the only who has decided to go into windshield repair so there is no one here to give me advice on what I need to do. Any advice or tips would be of great value. I have been reading all the posts on the site and eveyone seems pretty up and up and friendly. Hope to get everything off the ground soon and so far this site has been a great help.
Thanks
Hammer
BCFD
t4k

Re: Starting new business, need insurance and llc info

Post by t4k »

You can run a small business (part time or full time) as a sole proprietor without becoming a corporation (LLC). You just use your SS# and file at the end of the year. Check with your state on the rules and regulations which differ per state.

It is a good idea to have a minimum of $500,000.00 in liability insurance.
royalwindshield

Post by royalwindshield »

I have been reading that RLI is a good company for insurance. My biggest concern is making sure my business is not connected to my personal taxes. Thanks for the advice, it gives me a good idea towards what to do.
Have a great one
Hammer
BCFD
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Remember when you start a home based buisness you pick up a bunch of write-offs you can write off a portion of the household expenses if you own a buisness loses and profits go on your taxes you earned or spent it
Roo

Post by Roo »

My question is do the networks require us to list them as additional insured on our policy? My agent says if they do there will be a $20 charge for each company that is additional insured.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Roo
In my experience the networks dont require it but often a Auto Dealership or Fixed location like a Carwash or Gas Station will want to be listed
ChipStop

Post by ChipStop »

It is good advice to go sole prop until you start taking on employees. Contact the small business admin in your area. . . .or better yet schedule an appointment with a CPA in your area. They are current on all the laws as it pertains to your city, state and fed tax issues.

Welcome from MS
Mark Howie
ChipStop, Inc