Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post by DryStar »

ShawnWSR wrote:Paul I do agree with not getting distracted from our main business. I also do see how your business strategy and the available opportunities to work with the right replacement techs could make the difference in it being profitable. I just see based upon my numbers that I estimate 20 replacement jobs a week easily and that makes it worth the hassle.
If any of you guys think windshield replacement is profitable these days, please do your homework before diving into it.
It's not as profitable as you may believe. When you become proficient with repair you can work on any year, make and model of glass.

With replacements it's not the same. A decent replacement tech not only requires the proper equipment but at least 1-2yrs training. Every vehicle you work on is different. You just don't start doing windshield replacements like windshield repair.
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

ShawnWSR wrote:Paul I do agree with not getting distracted from our main business. I also do see how your business strategy and the available opportunities to work with the right replacement techs could make the difference in it being profitable. I just see based upon my numbers that I estimate 20 replacement jobs a week easily and that makes it worth the hassle.
...Just a thought -I also use adwords and and my business is listed on Google Places. I used to receive a lot of calls for replacements until I restructured the ad so that it says the following:

Expert Rock Chip Repair
No Replacements - Repair Only.
Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

This cut down the number of calls for replacements dramatically.
Paul R.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

Paul, did that cause less people to call for repairs? Did it reduce the number of actual clicks significantly?

Also did that raise cost per click because of your click through rate being reduced?

Thanks for your help.
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

When I operated the five auto service centers, we constantly were adding on new services so that we could become a one stop shop for the customer. It was imperative in that business that we retain the customer. If we allow them to go to a competitor for another service, they may ultimately continue going there and then I lost that customer. Not sure being a one man operation, if I want that to happen, because ultimately I may not be able to keep up with it. Not that this is a bad problem to have. I just don't want to add staff and pay payroll taxes for them etc. If I wanted that, I would have opened up a Auto Service Center.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

DryStar wrote:
If any of you guys think windshield replacement is profitable these days, please do your homework before diving into it.
It's not as profitable as you may believe. When you become proficient with repair you can work on any year, make and model of glass.

With replacements it's not the same. A decent replacement tech not only requires the proper equipment but at least 1-2yrs training. Every vehicle you work on is different. You just don't start doing windshield replacements like windshield repair.
The two guys I am giving those referrals too now, claim they make $100 above the cost of the windshield for every job. To me, this does not seem like alot of money for it. Also, they said they both buy their Windshields from Safelite?? I found that ironic too. So they are feeding the beast, that is screwing us all!! Plus, I find the liability in Replacment much greater, because of possible leaks, breaking trim pieces, etc.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

paulrsf wrote:
...Just a thought -I also use adwords and and my business is listed on Google Places. I used to receive a lot of calls for replacements until I restructured the ad so that it says the following:

Expert Rock Chip Repair
No Replacements - Repair Only.
Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

This cut down the number of calls for replacements dramatically.
I have been considering Adwords. Do you find this beneficial to your bottom line? Sometimes I think too, that maybe I don't want to cut down the replacement calls, because maybe they don't need a replacement. I ask all of them, what kind of damage they have and such. But now so far, they have all needed to be replaced.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
groofop

Post by groofop »

SMITHY wrote: I have been considering Adwords. Do you find this beneficial to your bottom line? Sometimes I think too, that maybe I don't want to cut down the replacement calls, because maybe they don't need a replacement. I ask all of them, what kind of damage they have and such. But now so far, they have all needed to be replaced.
My Dad uses adwords for his buisness and it works out great, that's his main source of leads, he's in the top 2 of the top 20 search terms related to his buisness.

Using Google places (must have a brick and mortar location, or PO box) is helpful because when people in your local area search lets say: "rock chip repair", a map comes up with "A+ Auto Glass" or whatever.

Google Places makes local searches more effective, then you can also use the review system. Have a happy customer log onto Google, e-mail him your places page and write a review. Get lots of review and that'll bump you up even higher.
--
groofop
ChipKing007

Post by ChipKing007 »

Does anyone exchange referrals with other businesses...not glass shops? I was thinking mechanics or lube shops or tire shops. Something like that.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

ChipKing007 wrote:Does anyone exchange referrals with other businesses...not glass shops? I was thinking mechanics or lube shops or tire shops. Something like that.
It is always good to know people in the auto repair trade.
If you send people work and and the customers say you sent them; it is good for business. one hand washes the other.
wcc123

Post by wcc123 »

I tried unsuccessfully to get a referral agreement with the windshield replacement companies. All of the ones I called sounded interested, but said they would have to talk to someone else to get approval for it. I never got a return call from any of them. These were the local franchisees of Glass Doctor, Safelite, etc. My suggestion is to find an independent company, because after trying the above for several months, an independent owner stopped by where I was set up on the side of the road and offered me $25 for referrals and they said they would give me any repair referrals they might run into free. I haven't gotten any referrals from them, but I have given them about 10 for replacement and they are very happy to get them and have sent me the referral fees gladly. So, see if you can find a small independent replacement company. Good luck! :)