Headlight repair tips and results.

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Headlight repair tips and results.

Post by ray6 »

Can anyone post how to post a pix? I'm trying to uplaod pix on tricks we use but it either I'm not authorized or too dumb to figure it out.

With regard to coating tips, we use foam wedges to apply all our coatings except the UV cured spray on. These wedges are similar to what women use for applying makeup. We buy in large batches from a manufacturer that uses a special formula not containing latex. This is important if you are using solvent based coatings, but if you're using Infinity it probably won't matter. What you will see in the store may or may not contain latex, but if you're using water borne coatings it won't matter.

We also use plastic cups to pour and mix coatings. Other than having scale markings on the side and small (1/2 to 3/4 oz), there's nothing special about them and can probably be purchased at restaurant supply companies or "borrowed" from McDonald's. The only concern is not to use any wax coated paper cups with solvent based coatings. Our cups are made from HDPE. Some plastic cups will start to dissolve depending what they're made of. You can determine if the cup is safe by adding a little coating and wait 20 min. If the coating eats through, don't use it. Plain paper cups will work with solvent based coatings, but will soak up alot of costly coating and if they're wax coated, contaminate.

The foam applicators are dipped into the cup and the coating is wiped on. The way the applicator is held sort of forces you to put on a decent thickness coat. If I can figure out attaching photos, it's easier to see than explain. Since only the tip goes in the cup, I believe it uses far less material than a paper towel, and think 3-4 ml. of Infinity is sufficient for 2 coats of a standard HL. We use a 90-95 Ford oval eye as our standard test light. Larger headlights will require more. If you do use this technique, make sure that you bag all items in contact with solvent based protective coat, alcohol, foam applicators, cups, etc., and squeeze out the air before sealing to eliminate the possibility of fire.

We also use disposable pipettes to measure out coating when using 2K coatings. Probably overkill, but keeps coating off bottle threads with solvent based 1K coatings. Easier than trying to pour out specific amounts. Saves coating. An alternative is to wipe the threads with a paper towel to clean off the threads before recapping so you won't build up a crust and contaminate the next time you open it.

If you use expensive coatings from other manufacturers and are sensitive to oxygen (like solvent based polyurethanes) you can add marbles to the bottle to keep the amount of trapped air to a minimum and extend shelf life.
If you're interested in a good sanding lubricant, SpeedOkote sells a great foaming spray that's very reasonable. It's water based and a large spray can is around $5.00 and lasts a long time. I've heard there's other lubes around but haven't tried them.
Ifyou're sensitive to solvents, you can use dirt cheap food server's gloves as opposed to nitrile. 1/10 the cost. They will dissolove when in contact with msome solvents, but it is slow and you'll probably be done with them before then.

If you mask before restoring, be careful applying tape to older cars with plastic bumpers. The paint is real easy to pull off the bumper with tape. Better to use a rag under the headlight, or better yet, don't let any chemical come in contact with the bumper.

Kitchen wrap works well to catch drips and snading splatter and is available in wide widths at restaurant supply companies. Spray surface with water before applying and it will stick.

ray6

ray6
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

ray6 wrote:Can anyone post how to post a pix? I'm trying to uplaod pix on tricks we use but it either I'm not authorized or too dumb to figure it out.
Below are a couple of screen shots detailing how to upload an image on the forum.

When making a post there is an upload attachment tab, click it

In the file name section click browse to find the image you want to upload

Once you find the image you want to upload add file then submit

I hope this helps, but if not you can send your image to a moderator and we will get it uploaded for you.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Kgobin wrote:
ray6 wrote:Can anyone post how to post a pix? I'm trying to uplaod pix on tricks we use but it either I'm not authorized or too dumb to figure it out.
Below are a couple of screen shots detailing how to upload an image on the forum.

When making a post there is an upload attachment tab, click it

In the file name section click browse to find the image you want to upload

Once you find the image you want to upload add file then submit

I hope this helps, but if not you can send your image to a moderator and we will get it uploaded for you.
Thanks, Corey. I think that is what I did, but I'll try again. ray6
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Here's what the foam application looks like. After dispensing coating to cup, dip tip. The angle of the foam (right angle to the headlight) gives you an even coat. These foam applicators are latex free (needed when applying solvent based coatings, not necessary when applying water based. Some brands witll indicate if they are latex free, some won't. You might have to visit more than 1 store to find the right ones. Once you do, don't change brands.
IMGP1610.jpg
IMGP1610.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 680 times

Wipe without dragging. Right way.
IMGP1620.jpg
IMGP1620.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 680 times

Dragging. Wrong way.
IMGP1621.jpg
IMGP1621.jpg (70.13 KiB) Viewed 680 times
ray6
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Here is a preliminary pix of a test headlight done using a no sanding process. I can't give you any details on the stripper right now. Left was stripped with 4 pads then scrubbed with alsohol then 1 coat of Infinity. Right side was untouched. In case you're wondering, whole headlight was restored, what you see is composite of before and after. What looks like cloudiness on left is a reflection. Actual coating is crystal clear and uniform.
duringret.jpg
duringret.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 680 times

ray6
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Ray,

Awesome info and effort you have made with your pics!

When you say you used stripper and "four pads" - do you mean the cotton pads?

...Apply stripper, rub off coating, wipe down and then Infinity -yep?

Thats fast - Cool!
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Yes. You wipe until no old material shows on the applicator, then Infinity is applied wiping vertically, then horizontally.
ray6
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

What are the pads?? Cotton pads? What do they look like?

Using your stripper, what is the process times from start to finish?
Paul Weinstein
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Old Blue 66 wrote:What are the pads?? Cotton pads? What do they look like?

Unfortunately, I've been asked not to comment on the stripper or it's use anymore since it is our own product.
ray6
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

ray6 wrote:
Old Blue 66 wrote:What are the pads?? Cotton pads? What do they look like?

Unfortunately, I've been asked not to comment on the stripper or it's use anymore since it is our own product.
ray6
This is, word for word, what you were told in a private message this morning: "On a related topic, our forum moderators have received several complaints indicating that you are using windshieldrepairforum.com to market your products and are not being honest about your identity or intentions. Please read the forum guidelines and make sure that you are not marketing your products, directly or indirectly, on windshieldrepairforum.com or any other Delta Kits website. Our forum is not intended for that purpose and failure to adhere to forum guidelines may result in a permanent ban."

Considering the feedback I have received from other forum members I feel Delta Kits moderators have been extremely lenient. You are welcome to discuss your methods and the recommended application of your product, but please refrain from promoting your products on this forum.

The rules are the same for all forum members.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.