Sealer or no sealer

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Sealer or no sealer

Post by Brent Deines »

Chips1141,

Your stories about the hotel are too funny!

I think you and I are on the same page. I too like air tools, but I'm not sure they are practical for most windshield repair technicians. I used to sell tools for one of the major tool manufacturers, you know, one of those trucks that hits all the mechanic and body shops, and I found that a few tools we sold were no better in quality than those at Harbor Freight, but for the most part I could not agree with you more; you typically get what you pay for. I bought a couple of cordless drills at Harbor Freight and they were complete junk. On the other hand, I found out that many power tools are made by the same company, and in some cases in the same mold, so buying a tool with a blue case rather than a red case sometimes gets you the same tool for less money. I have also found that just because one company makes the best drill, that does not mean they make the best saw, polisher, or grinder. I have a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher that I really like, but it takes 6" pads and I have not tried it on headlights yet.

I have to admit I didn't look too carefully at Dvelup's tools, but they certainly did the job. I'll have to check into that a bit more.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Brent...

Thanks for the info on tools, Id never considered the same tools could be in different cases, with different names except in the case of Craftsman, I suppose its just like the old VCR and DVD Machines.

I'm not a guy with a garage full of tools but I usually buy something that will last, I've bought off those tool trucks before so I know what you mean about some of their tools being on the cheap side.

Ben told me that Dvelup buy their DA sander and modify it to be a DA, adding the offset, maybe it is a good tool with quality parts inside...

The Porter Cable 7424 is a terrific machine for polishing cars, but I doubt you'd get much success with that 6 inch head on headlights, too big and difficult to get in small spaces, I know their are smaller heads available for the 7424 at some detailing companies on the net but I hear it makes the PC vibrate, and yes Id bet there are counterweights available, still the machine was designed to use a 5'' and 6'' pad.

We need something with a small offset so the tool doesn't bounce around if it should catch on the bumper or other car body parts, of course everything would be masked, still we don't need to damage anyone's car or our tools, The Metabo looks good... The Grex air sander has a 2 inch head that's why I was interested in that tool at one time.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I posted on an other post that DVELP will be looking at the metabo 400 also and modifying it to there needs. I say just down size the disc from a 3 1/4 to a 3" should be all the need to do...
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I use the Headliht Doctor system but as I have said in other posts use the 3m hook it system to sand and just finish with a light hand sand did 8 pairs today (5 real bad) took a little under 2 hrs look awesome. I have seen many that I have done a year ago and they still look good even with a winters worth of Vermont sand and salt. The sealer goes on easy and is self leveling. It makes sense to use a petroleum /solvent based sealer on a solvent based product like acrylic or plastics
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

GT, are you sure Dvelup will be modifying the 400SXE...

Glasstarz, Its nice to hear a shout out for the headlight doctor system, you are the first Ive heard of on this forum that uses that system. 8 pairs in one day is GREAT. Good for you.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Chips
I was talking with Mini about a week ago and we started to talk about the metoba 400 being it had the verable speed and she said they talked to the company and was seeing what can come out of it. At this time it is not a sure thing but if they do get a deal they will mod it to what they need it to do...
Personaly, lessoning to you that have it, it may not need to be mod.

I hope it does better than the one they sell now because if you put any angle to it, it just vibeate with out orbiting if I am trying to get it to work a spot. I hope that is not like all orbital sanders. It has been a long while sence I used my DEWALT orbit sander so forgot. I will have to pull it out to see if it acts that way...

Maybe the DVELP has is not a tru orbit grinder. Any input on that one?
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

The Dvelup sander is modified by them, they add the orbital part from what I understand, Vibration could be due to no counterbalance im not sure, but then again you are always supposed to hold it flat to the surface, holding most Da's to an angle will cause it to dig in and bounce a little.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

On the vibrate, I mean, I would put a little more presure on the side I need to remove. a little "wrist action". That is when the sander stops spinning and just sits them and you can here it wants to spin but does not. That could be the modied part they had done....
The disc is still flat on the lens when I am doing the grinding.

Does that sound right to you. Typing and walking is not the same to me...
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

From your description thats sounds about right for a da sander.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

last night I took my DEWALT 5" orbital sander and I applyed the presure like I did on the DVELUP mod sander and the DEWALT worked a lit better cutting an edge cut... I feel the DVELUP just can't cut it. I will be ordering the METABO by the end of the week...

That is just my personal test. I am an avide tool user in and can see the DVELUP is not up to snuff in my testing.