Moisture in headlight

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Moisture in headlight

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm not too surprised that a Cherokee with over 250K miles on it would have moisture in the headlight, but over a 30% ration is unusual. No guarantees, but I don't think you will have that high of ratio once your total restoration numbers are higher. It's kind of like the guy who breaks a windshield on his 1st repair. While the chances of that happening are one in a thousand or less, or at least that has been my experience, for that guy 100% of windshields he works on break. That can be pretty discouraging! Hopefully you are just getting some of the really bad headlight restorations out of the way and will have some smooth sailing for awhile.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I dont feel a break on either side of the glass. Its just a small crack between the glass. or appears to be. its almost like a tiny pocket of air beneath the glass surface the size I indicated. He has two. He said he was following a truck loaded with small pebles or sand that was blowing back onto his car. He noticed the damage when he got home and looked at his windshield. I put 2 pieces of clear tape over the area untill I can fix it for him. I wasn't sure if I should drill or not. I know not to drill unless necessary but I just dont see a hole. I will go back and try what you said this week. I have watched many videos reference repairs looking for something similar. The book with my delta kit is vague, I was expecting more detailed information than what I have. I know I can call for asst from Delta, but its hard to look at my work and determine if it's correct or could be better. Hands-on tng sometimes is best, to actually see up-close, an experience how things should be. Its a big difference from replacing a windshield, when I was a teenager working in a bodyshop. I seem to learn more from youtube, this forum and google. I really need to attend a class, and keep practicing untill then. I will be in San Diego July 10th-18th. My son is headed for combat for the 4th time in 5 years. If I didn't have that scheduled I would attend instead the Delta Tng while out there. Is there anyone in that area that I might be able to spend a day with? My wife has an IRS seminar on the 14th, 15th,16th of July in San Diego. Is there anything on the east coast in the near future for tng by Delta or recommend someone?
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Delta Kits is in the process of updating the training manual, and our first priority is to provide Technicians with more detailed information. In the mean time, I encourage you to continue reading to forum, ask questions, and watch the how-to videos on our website. The next Factory Training and Certification Course is July 17th in Eugene, Oregon and we would be more than happy to have you here. As of right now Delta Kits does not have any On the Road Training scheduled on the East Coast, and I would recommend that you fill in your profile so everybody can know where you are located.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

candyman,

If you are looking for training while you are in San Diego you might contact Gene Henderson of the Crack Doctor Windshield Repair. I have not attended one of his training classes and I don't know what his schedule is, but if you are interested let me know and I will send you his contact info.

There is a lot of good information on youtube and on this forum, but there is also a lot of misinformation that can get you into trouble. Sometimes customers will call to discuss all the problems they are having and I find that they have ignored all the manufacturer's instructions and have instead been taking advice from various Internet sources. Generally if we can get them to go back to the basics they have far fewer problems. Of course the same thing can happen if the person who trains you does not know what they are doing, and unfortunately just because someone runs a successful business does not mean they are doing good repairs. You also do not have to be a windshield repair expert to make a youtube video or post on a forum, so be sure you know who is giving the advice and practice that advice on test glass before actually trying it on a customer's windshield

If you cannot make it to a Delta Kits training class or get together with Gene in San Diego, let me know and I'll see if there is anyone in your area that might be willing to help you out. There are very few people we recommend for training but we might be able to help you find someone closer to home. Depending on if you need help starting and marketing your glass repair business or if you are only interested in glass repair procedure training, costs for training may vary, but it's always good to have options.

As for the tiny little breaks below the surface, I think I know what you are talking about but I can't be 100% sure. If there is no surface damage what so ever, then I would agree that this may be one of the rare cases that you have to drill, but you should only have to drill a shallow hole to help get the resin flowing. Just be sure that the damage is in the outer layer of glass before you start or drilling may be of no benefit.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I just updated my profile. Thanks for the information. I've seen so many youtube videos, I can even spot some of the jack-leg repairers. I will go check that vehicle again on friday and see if that line moves when I push on it. I probably need to go to another site on this forum to discuss my W/R problems. I will keep practicing. I didn't want to experiment on someones car untill I had a handle on what I was doing, and understood what type of repair I am faced with. It would be great if I could get a day or so with someone or a class during my visit to San Diego. You guys at Delta have been a big help. I was at the local Auto Zone last weekend,an noticed a traveler was restoring headlights for $20. He was using dish detergent mixed with water and a brillo type pad; WD-40; Then he buffed it with turtle wax with a sander big enough to do body repair. Then he sprayed lacquer (clear) on it. He completed each car in less than 15 minutes. People were lined up. He left town when the crowd disappeared according to the store mgr. I just can't believe that those people were actually lined up for that. My question? once the UV is removed doesn't that make the headlight more exposed to the sun and road conditions? How long will that last before it starts to fade, or yellow, and the customer realizes his bargain may not be a bargain?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That debate could and probably will go on forever, but the truth is that not all headlights are created equal, and not all are exposed to the same weather. Here in Oregon the headlight lenses do not go bad as quickly as they do in Arizona, but they do still get bad quicker than you would think. After removing the factory UV coating, sanding, and polishing, you can make the lenses look pretty good if you take your time and take all of the steps we recommend, however if UV protection is not applied you can only expect them to stay looking good for 3-12 months maximum. Again, exactly how long the finish will last depends on the quality of the lens and the weather conditions.

Adding a UV coating will make them last months, or even years longer depending on the coating used. Lacquers are typically not recommended for plastics, but some people do use them. If you plan to offer a warranty and not leave town when the lines disappear I recommend using the best UV coating you can find, and of course I recommend using a product made specifically for the job at hand.

You can expect a high quality coating to last 2-3 years in any climate and longer than that in less sunny areas like Oregon. Most products I have tested will not last that long, and some can be difficult to remove, so do your homework before selecting a UV coating. How well it goes on and what it looks like when the job is complete is very important, as is how quickly and evenly it dries, but how long it lasts is as important if not more so, and that is that part that is difficult to figure out without a great deal of testing. I did several years of testing and was shocked at the difference between UV coatings.

The $20 headlight restoration guys take short cuts and are never around long, just like most of the $20 glass repair guys. I prefer to do fewer jobs and make more on each one knowing that my customers come to me for quality first. Price is always a factor, but if you are doing good work it should not be the deciding factor for most customers.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.