Can you make a LIVING at this???

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Can you make a LIVING at this???

Post by ray6 »

With the flood of DIY products on the market, some HLRs fellow see it as competition. It may seem that way at first glance, but I'm starting to run across more headlights that someone has had their way with them.

These customers can be conveeted with a little effort on your part, but the real benefit is that they can become your salesman. Since they each have their own little horror story, they will probably share it with others.

If you do a quality job and offer a real warranty, these formerly abused customers can become your allies.

ray6
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Can you make a LIVING at this???

Post by ray6 »

Headlight restoration is a combination of art and science. Just starting out, it's difficult to make any real money because you have to develop a customer base and build up a reputation. I only do it part time, but I set my pricing so that my average hourly income (while working) is around $60-80/hr.

The other thing I did was equip myself to be competitive with just about anyone including the junk lots by being able to do a strip and polish faster than their own slaves can do. I won't go to a lot for a $30 restore, but I would for 3 or more.

Advertising works, but since most of your customers have no idea what you're talking about, I would start with referrals only. Neighbors, family, etc. Do a restore for free if that's what it takes. A strong referral trumps any ad.

Don't get caught up in the pricing game. You can always increase your workload by lowering your price. I could probably do 60 cars a week if I only charged $10. But I would be making less than working at Burger King.

I'm now concentrating more on police/city/county government fleets, commercial fleets, etc. Income/vehicle is lower, but with many jobs at 1 location, it's easier to make a decent wage.

Some restos are done for 20-25 per vehicle (multiple vehicles at 1 location). Some high end work go for $100-120 per vehicle with a 2 year warranty. May extend to 3 years after testing is complete with Infinity 4.1.

Another way to get started and gain experience is to do charity work for Goodwill, Salvation Army or any that deals with donated cars. You can dedust the retail price of restoration as a contribution on yout tax return. Better yet, it allows you to try different techniques and products without risk.

Regards,
ray6